Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I need to get some more planes, it takes forever to do a table top with this thing :laughing:. (I have a couple more planes :shifty:, I will post pics later)

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nice little old e bay lady that sold me this one thought it would be a good idea to "spruce it up" for me by painting the whole thing in dark brown fence stain. Bless her pointed little head!!! Took me a week to clean it up!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had a "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!" moment...what looks like a HUGE crack is just a stain. Whew!!!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I have a few I am working on right now myself. In different stages of disrepair. I set an old Stanley Bailey #28 transitional like you have in there for scale that I already fixed. That plane is in my gallery already. My "new" acquisitions are not so I took a picture for this thread. I will get them cleaned up-tuned up this winter. I have a box full of good irons/chippers and am going to continue making some solid woods from scratch as I have time.

Notice the shaving in the old "Hancock", I just used that yesterday. It looks ratty...but the bottom is flat and I sharpened the iron, it cuts like crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
The nice little old e bay lady
This is not mine. I was bidding on it over at eBay, I quit at $25. I have no real use for it, just thought it was cool, but only $25 cool I guess :laughing:. (it went for $26 by the way :huh:)

Maybe Mitch will chime in, he has a picture of an old Stanley hand router plane in his gallery.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
looks like a nice dual Spokeshave / scraper......
Yes and the irons were marked with the Stanley "sweetheart". I just don't use spoke shaves that much in my work. I have 3-4 (?), just rarely use them. So I quit bidding on that one, I figured maybe I would find something better to throw my money at.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DAMN!!! I was gonna buy the same one at a flea market here in Van. As soon as I made my round...it was gone!!!$15!!!!:censored:
I do believe it's a chair makers shave.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I only have 3, and they just set on the shelf in my shop. I have not used them a dozen times in 5 years. No makers marks, cheapies I picked up at a sale for probably $1 apiece.

I just bought 2 all wood planes (online auction) I can't wait to get them. The are something I have never seen. They are just like the big wooden jointing planes in one of my pictures above...but the are 1" square and 5 1/2" long :icon_smile:, cute little dudes. They were obviously made for a specific purpose (I don't know what) I am going to make some replicas. I will post a picture when I get them.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daren, I can't believe that you and I are the ONLY people on the board with hand planes. Sad really.:glare:

Back in my formative years I had $100 to spend...[and THAT was a stretch] so I bought a jointer plane and learned how to use it. Now I have a 6" jointer and STILL true up with a hand plane.:yes:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We're in a fast food culture I guess...RESULTS NOW!!!!
It's a toss up fer me.....Coronation Street,hand planes and beer....oh, and my wife....

Results ......eventually!!!!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Here are most of mine. The others are in my toolboxes and in the trailer and it's too cold and windy to go outside to get them in my jammies.
Most were my fathers. I use as many of them as often as I can but must admit that I am not a true old fashion woodworker.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Impressive to say the least!!!!! I sure could use one of those scraper planes!!!!:yes: :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
it's too cold and windy to go outside to get them in my jammies.
Understood :laughing:. Hey, we have another player. Some nice day when you don't have your PJs on, I would like to see a closer shot of this one. Obviously shop made, I tinker with making planes. Even though like I said I do not use a spoke shave much, I would like to see how that one is made.
Nice assortment by the way...I bet your Dad had many hours/years of fun with them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 117 Posts