Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install two doors on this cabinet using European (concealed) hinges. They will be installed on a Frameless structure made of 18mm panels on the outside and a 27mm panel on the inside that is shared by one door and on the other side by drawers (see diagrams).

I understand that if two doors share the same panel, they use Half Overlay hinges (as per Rocker website). However, in this case, the door will not be sharing the interior panel. On the other side, there are shelves (in this case) and drawers in another case. Furthermore, the interior panel is thicker (27mm vs 18mm) than the exterior panel.

Should I still use half overlay hinges? Or use Full overlay as the door on the outside?
Hope the diagrams explain.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
Actually your diagram shows using both sides full over lay now. Since the right side is thicker, that is what I would do, use full over lay on both sides and adjust the drawer fronts accordingly.

If using two different hinges on the doors, there would have to be extra width of the drawer front to keep the same margin. Another thing is you would have to make both doors the same width to make them look correct, then using the two different hinges it would throw off the center alignment of the doors. I would still go with the full over lay on both doors to keep it simple. JMHO

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
agree with bigjim
if you were using the same width frame, you'd need full on one side and half on the other
since you have a wider frame use full on both and plan the drawer front accordingly

·
Registered
27,662 Posts
Think if it this way, full overlay and the door can overlap the side 3/4" and half overlay 3/8". The first sketch of the cabinet shows a doubled side that is 1 1/2" thick. The full overlay won't overlap the entire face like the drawing below it. The area in question a half overlay would be appropriate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.