Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a chance to acquire a grizzly 1066 drum sander for $450:

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1066_m.pdf

the pics look like it's probably in good shape and it's only 1/2 hr away. i presently have a ryobi 16/32 DS that i use infrequently. space is at a premium in my small shop and the ryobi fits in well. the grizz would stress both my space and, with a 30A subpanel, would be iffy operationally when used in conjunction with my delta 50-850 DC (6A draw @ 220v).

anyone have any constructive thoughts?

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
If the Ryobi is used infrequently, what are you looking to achieve with an upgrade.

The present machine is open ended so in theory can sand up to 32in wide. I have a Performax 16/32 which is very similar to your machine. I have rarely tried to sand wider than 16in board.

The Grizzly is likely a nice machine, but it will need 240V power and a lot of dust collection capacity. Did you confirm this is single phase? 3 phase would mean buying a converter.

How big is your present dust collection?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Dave hit the key points, I don't see how this would be a good move, given the details you spelled out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the Ryobi is used infrequently, what are you looking to achieve with an upgrade.

The present machine is open ended so in theory can sand up to 32in wide. I have a Performax 16/32 which is very similar to your machine. I have rarely tried to sand wider than 16in board.

The Grizzly is likely a nice machine, but it will need 240V power and a lot of dust collection capacity. Did you confirm this is single phase? 3 phase would mean buying a converter.

How big is your present dust collection?
the griz sander is a single phase 5 hp machine with a 6-20 220v plug on it. i have 220v in my shop, but only a 30A sub panel. i've run a 16A FLA unisaw and a 6A FLA delta 50-850 DC on the same 20A 220v circuit without incident, but this unit's FLA rating is 26A.

upgrading is more a matter of my tool buying philosophy than anything else. when i come across a very good deal on a tool i might need, i go for it so if and when i need it, it's there. i never pay full retail, or even near full retail, for any tools. so this would be an upgrade in the substance of my drum sander more than anything else right now. new units go for ~ $1600, but those have variable feed rate and the drum rotates opposite the movement of the conveyor. the 1066 is a single speed feed rate and it's drum rotates in the direction of the conveyor belt. just not sure this will materially upgrade my drum sanding equipment vis a vis capacity and utility.

keep the comments coming.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's an upgrade and buy it!:yes::yes::yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts