Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals,
I have 3 mahogany boards that are 18 feet long. They are 16" wide, 13 inches wide, 10 inches wide. They are all planed to 3/4 thick. I have them laid against a wall, covered in dust and would like to store them with some other mahogany that I have. The other boards are 10 feet or so long. I was getting ready to cut them in half and store with the others but I thought I would get the opinions of others. I cant imagine why anyone would need 18 foot long stock but didn't want to rush it.

Thanks.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
If you can store them like that untill your ready to use them? Then I'd leave them.
Everyone here will have a different opinions on what to do.
You can only decide.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Hello guys and gals,
I have 3 mahogany boards that are 18 feet long. They are 16" wide, 13 inches wide, 10 inches wide. They are all planed to 3/4 thick. I have them laid against a wall, covered in dust and would like to store them with some other mahogany that I have. The other boards are 10 feet or so long. I was getting ready to cut them in half and store with the others but I thought I would get the opinions of others. I cant imagine why anyone would need 18 foot long stock but didn't want to rush it.

Thanks.
I wouldn't cut them. I would leave them as is until I needed them for a project and at that time decide how to cut them.

·
Registered
27,740 Posts
I agree with cabinetman. I wouldn't cut them if you can help it. Chances are if you cut them to 9' lengths when you got around to using them you would need 6' boards and you will regret having cut them. It really depends on how much of a pain it is to store 18' boards.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Agreed......the longer the stock the better until its ready to use in my opinion.......Any time I have a shorter board.....and I start cutting out of it....I always end up 2 inches short!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would cut them down for storage. I would think that there would be more chance of them warping, cupping ect the longer they are. To be honest I wouldn't have planed them until I needed the stock. I would have waited to break the boards into the pieces I needed first then planed them down.

·
where's my table saw?
29,939 Posts
I used to my keep long boards long...

Now I realize unless I'm making a conference table or large dining table they are of no use and a pain to store because I keep a most of my boards stored vertically. I do have a lot of 12 footers, stored on the flat, but most are 8 ft and under. There's only so much you can make with a board that longer than 8 ft..... lessee now .... :blink:

If they are for you own use then you will know best. If they are for sale then leave them long and let the buyer decide. The length may bring a greater price.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
If you intend to sell the boards, the length adds substantial value.

What you have is the makings of a 3 foot wide by about 18 foot table top. e.g. Lawyer's conference room.

I would call a few wood suppliers to find out what the boards would cost if you bought them. Then I would try shopping them around. You have better than 50 board feet of LONG and WIDE mahogany. Just a quick check, Random Widths 4"-10" and shippable lengths are going for $15 bf.

What you have could mean some nice tools.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually didn't plane the boards. I bought this stack of boards from a distance, not even knowing what they were or how many there were. I think I got them at an extremely good deal. Some folks were selling stuff from an estate and said "what would you give me for all of the lumber down in that shed"? I took a gamble and it appears that it paid off! Maybe I should look into selling some of them. I have about 20 boards that range from 8 to 19" wide, 3/4 to 12/4 thick and 10 to 18 feet long. This could be a real prize!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody that does boat building would love to have 18' mahogany...I have built cedar-strip kayaks and canoes using single strips of cedar, cypress and redwood, 12-18' long. Sounds like a small boat project to me.

Kirby

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice score, and I agree with others that it should be stored as is. Leaning against the wall though sounds like a bad idea. Get those planks stored flat or perhaps hang them from rope on edge along a wall if you have to. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.