Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

One of my neighbors is selling a Ridgid TS2424. He is a contractor. It sounds like he takes care of his tools, and he says this TS has never left his detached garage where it shares space with his truck when not in use. THis being the northeast, one can count on it being damp a fair amount of time.

Aside from mild table-top surface rust which I know how to clean up, should I be concerned about dampness causing deterioration in areas of the saw which are not easily observed? Am I nuts to consider buying a saw that was not kept 'indoors'. (under a roof, yes, but unheated, no moisture barriers, etc.)

Thanks,
Ken

·
7,222 Posts
I think you will find a number of the forum members have unheated garages.

Recent threads about how to work in a cold shop.

In the winter not much moisture around, more so in the summer.

Moisture in the air should not be a problem. Condensation more potential.

Since this is a neighbour you should be able to look at the saw, start it up, etc.

There may be some light corrosion on contacts, but this should be easy to cleanup if needed.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i'd explore it. those older gray colored ridgid stationary power tools carry a lifetime guaranty that's independent of who owns the tool. my unheated garage is only a problem at seasonal chnage times, when temperature differentials may cause light condensation. surface rust is easily removed. here's a pretty good pic of a 2424:

http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?081124A/1132

if it has a splitter/blade guard and a miter gauge, it'd be a pretty complete saw. i'm a little partial. i have a souped up 2412 (entry level saw) that's a level below the 2424. they were great saws built in the usa by emerson electric for ridgid. i like mine so much i sold a refurbished 3 hp unisaw and kept my 2412.

·
where's my table saw?
31,266 Posts
Salted roads?

If the truck was driven daily and then parked in the garage where any salt or chloride may have dripped off in the winter then it will cause more rust in unseen areas. Get underneath with a flashlight and see what it looks like. Surface rust and some slight rust on threads can be removed easily. If the saw was not abused or pushed beyond it's limits and caused the thermal rest to kick in often, then you probably will be OK ...If the price is right. Why is he selling? Upgrading, lack of space?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to Woodnthings

He has sold his house, and is moving to be close to his other tablesaw!

Is asking $250, with a high end cross-cut blade included. Mitre guage: yes, splitter/blade guard maybe (if he can find them). The fence is one heck of a lot better than the one on the JET I presently use.

I will ask about usage model, but I expect that, when in the middle of a project, the truck stayed outside, but when not in the middle, the truck came inside every day in winter.

ANy thoughts on where, specifically, I might check for rust?

·
John
3,028 Posts
I think the 2424 is the predecessor to the 4510. My 4510 is mostly plastic and aluminum. About the only thing ferrous in is the frame but salt water can do a number on aluminum also. I'd just look it over as well as possible, those can be flipped upside down fairly easily. :smile:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
+1 to knotscott's comments. but that $250 would be for a saw in the kind of condiiton as the one pictured above. as the quantity of rust increases, and the condition deteriorates, i'd start dropping my offer.

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
Hi All,

One of my neighbors is selling a Ridgid TS2424. He is a contractor. It sounds like he takes care of his tools, and he says this TS has never left his detached garage where it shares space with his truck when not in use. THis being the northeast, one can count on it being damp a fair amount of time.

Aside from mild table-top surface rust which I know how to clean up, should I be concerned about dampness causing deterioration in areas of the saw which are not easily observed? Am I nuts to consider buying a saw that was not kept 'indoors'. (under a roof, yes, but unheated, no moisture barriers, etc.)

Thanks,
Ken
My table saw(all of my tools for that matter) has never lived in any other environment.

It is the rare hobbyist that would have an environmentally controlled shop/garage.

George

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to GeorgeC:

My shop is in my basement - a pain in the rump to get the saw into, but once set up, a dry environment.

to Toolguy1000: Table top is definitely NOT in that kind of gleaming condition. I don't know the last time it was cleaned/waxed, but I plan to do a spot check to see how much effort will be necessary to make the surface slippery.

Ken

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
........ I plan to do a spot check to see how much effort will be necessary to make the surface slippery.
it doesn't take much effort to go from this before shot to these after shots. and here's a link to a portion of a unisaw rehad video series that deas with CI top restoration. IMHE, using finer and finer grades of sandpaper will get you increasingly shinier results. i only went up to wet/dry 400.

Attachments

Reactions: ksboston

·
Registered
137 Posts
it doesn't take much effort to go from this before shot to these after shots. and here's a link to a portion of a unisaw rehad video series that deas with CI top restoration. IMHE, using finer and finer grades of sandpaper will get you increasingly shinier results. i only went up to wet/dry 400.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSJjN8jvdp4&feature=relmfu
Now that looks like what condition my craftsman bandsaw table was in when I got it. I wouldnt be to concerned about the tablesaw, mine has seen 4 seasons in closed garage...still works great, only use what I call my fire box to heat my space... burn a lot of scrap etc. from a 18" box stove with exhaust pipe...

Put a steel roof over rafters no insulation yet ... condensates inside from time to time not sure if need to install inside gutters to catch what runs down lol

I cant really leave things out much tends to almost rain on them that way.

If you get a good deal on something you can really use, run with it found a ryobi 8 1/2" radial arm saw for $100 at a pawn shop last week...sure will take a load off a few other tools..:smile:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
...... found a ryobi 8 1/2" radial arm saw for $100 at a pawn shop last week...sure will take a load off a few other tools..:smile:
if you ever tire of that RAS, it's the subject of a $75 recall. for future reference, older (60s and early 70s vintage) c-man RASs with the CI columns are usually available for ~ $50 -$100 and are some of the better thought of relatively inexpensive RASs out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.