Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm REALLY getting tired of listening to a screaming shop vac. I've been looking at a couple HEPA dust exctractor type vac's and like the Bosch.

I'm getting tired of lugging around the shop vac/cyclone cart.

30 foot hose would do my shop but I'm thinking it will be prone to clogging.

Whatch'all think?

Product Camera lens Font Audio equipment Camera accessory

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
When I was at the furniture company I used a shop vac with about 50' of drain line. I hung it over the shop table and plugged it into the Domino.. At one time I tried it with a 3M sander and worked well..I liked it because the shop vac wasn't right on top of me and I could still hear tools and people talking..I've considered it lately because the ROS and a few of my belt sanders have dust collection, I've just never used it..
Saw Circular saw Wood Helmet Electrical wiring

·
where's my table saw?
31,501 Posts
I use the Rigid 16 gal shop vac with removable blower heads, a great feature.
I use the blower for blowing the leaves out of the gutters with a "J" pipe on 3 extensions from the ground level.
It makes 161 CFM same has the Prolux. Wet/Dry same as the Prolux.
Cheaper by far than the Prolux. You can move it around on it's wheels.
I have 3 in the wood shop attached to the bandsaw, jointer and router table/ floor vac. They are among the most quiet according to reviews. Home Depot sells them as well.

From the Ebay link RIDGID 16 Gal NXT Wet Dry Shop Vacuum Detachable Blower Filter Hose Accessories | eBay
  • Hose Length (ft.): 7 ft
  • Interior Hose Diameter (In.): 2.5 in
  • Peak Horsepower (php): 6.5
  • Product Depth (in.): 22.9 in
  • Product Height (in.): 25.5 in
  • Product Width (in.): 20.7 in
  • Air Volume (CFM): 161
  • Amperage (amps): 12
  • Color Family: Oranges/Peaches
  • Cord Length (ft.): 20
  • Included Accessories: No additional accessories included
  • Recommended Surfaces: Auto Interior,Bare Floor,Carpet,Concrete,Laminate,Leather,Stairs,Tile,Upholstery,Vinyl,Wood
  • Returnable: 60-Day
  • Tools Product Type: Power Tool
  • Vacuum Capacity (Gallons): 16
  • Voltage (volts): 120

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
I'd get tired of listening to a shop vac too. The DC is great for large tools but can be loud,but for portable it's either got to be quite or in another area..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
I use the blower for blowing the leaves out of the gutters with a "J" pipe on 3 extensions from the ground level.
I have 3 in the wood shop attached to the bandsaw, jointer and router table/ floor vac. They are among the most quiet according to reviews. Home Depot sells them as well.

From the Ebay link RIDGID 16 Gal NXT Wet Dry Shop Vacuum Detachable Blower Filter Hose Accessories | eBay
  • Hose Length (ft.): 7 ft
  • Interior Hose Diameter (In.): 2.5 in
  • Peak Horsepower (php): 6.5
  • Product Depth (in.): 22.9 in
  • Product Height (in.): 25.5 in
  • Product Width (in.): 20.7 in
  • Air Volume (CFM): 161
  • Amperage (amps): 12
  • Color Family: Oranges/Peaches
  • Cord Length (ft.): 20
  • Included Accessories: No additional accessories included
  • Recommended Surfaces: Auto Interior,Bare Floor,Carpet,Concrete,Laminate,Leather,Stairs,Tile,Upholstery,Vinyl,Wood
  • Returnable: 60-Day
  • Tools Product Type: Power Tool
  • Vacuum Capacity (Gallons): 16
  • Voltage (volts): 120

Why not run those items on a normal dust collector?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one (Rigid) attached to my 12" bandsaw and 6x10 sander with an auto switch which works good and isn't too noisy.

I've got the typical shop vac/mini cyclone set up but I'm tired of pushing it around and the space it takes up, I'm thinking about just going back to a standard shop vac and forget about the cyclone.

I'm about to pull the trigger on either a Bosch or Fein HEPA, but the idea of a wall mount came to me.

I'm thinking if I had something more convenient I wouldn't let so much stuff accumulate.

Have to admit ever since getting the Festool vac I've gotten so spoiled by the quietness now I'll never buy another shop vac.

·
That Guy
584 Posts
I've given up on dust collection. I only turn it on now for the planer. The rest of the time I just sweep up after. I wish I had known this before I spent hundreds of dollars on a dust collector and all that plumbing/gates etc.

Have you considered just a broom? $10?

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
I've given up on dust collection. I only turn it on now for the planer. The rest of the time I just sweep up after. I wish I had known this before I spent hundreds of dollars on a dust collector and all that plumbing/gates etc.

Try to make doors without it..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
forget the hepa filter and just vent it outside. easy peasy
i installed a whole house vac 25 years ago, the wife loves it
it's installed in the basement and vented outside, i can barely hear it
you'll be cleaning out that little tub all the time

as for plugging up... definitely would use the shop vac on a planer
sweep up piles of big chips and chunks
for regular shop stuff it's probably fine

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
Question slightly off topic:
I have one of the larger shop vacs and it suits my purposes for dust collection, but man, it is loud.
I was thinking about making a 3 sided box with top and bottom and insulating with that cheap aluminum bubble wrap looking insulation. Has anyone here made a sound insulating box for their shop vac?

·
That Guy
584 Posts
I tried making one for my generator and all it did was make the genny overheat. There was no great sound level dampening. It may work better for a vacuum. The troubkle is there needs to be an intake and an exhaust and that's where the sound gets out.

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
@JayArr
The intake would be the hose coming from the open end of the box. That would be aimed away from me. The exhaust could possibly be exhausted with a hose also out of the same open end away from me. The biggy is that high pitch sound. Now that I'm thinking of it, the open end could be mostly closed up because the shop vac usually dont stay on that long but I never really gave a thought as to how much heat it generates. I'll bet I would be surprised if I closed it in.
Your input gave me some more insight as to what to expect. Thanks.

·
That Guy
584 Posts
Now that you mention the whine and I think about it more, there are two exhausts on a shop vac, one is the vac exhaust the other is the motor exhaust. There is usually a small fan on one end of the motor shaft to draw air past the motor to keep it cool. On mine that comes straight out the top of the head. I suspect most of your high pitch whine comes from there and not the actual vac exhaust.

Maybe there is a way to baffle that motor exhaust or put a hose on it and send it outside?

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
I just hate to cut up good plywood without knowing. Hopefully, someone here has already tried it.
I probably should have made this post a separate thread. I still might.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
fein turbo II with dust deputy. it was the quitest shop vac on the market when i bought these.

by the way, after 11 years, this is the ORIGINAL filter...
Electrical wiring Wood Cable Gas Electrical supply
Cameras & optics Camera Gas Personal protective equipment Machine

·
That Guy
584 Posts
With the price of plywood these days - I totally understand!

I'm going to the bank later today and if it all works out I'll be able to pay all my bills with a little leftover...

I'm so excited I can barely get my ski-mask on straight.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I have a ducted system for machines.

I'm talking about general cleanup mainly vacuum shop floor.

Why did you give up on DC?

·
where's my table saw?
31,501 Posts
Unless you have a very high efficiency dust collector, 5 HP motor, 14" impeller, you just can't get enough "suction" from a 1 1/2 HP system, at least that's my experience , Jet 1.5 HP 1100 CFMs?
I still use it on the thickness planer and drum sanders, but I've found a shop vac to be more efficient on my bandsaws, the RAS, the above the blade DC on the table saw and router tables. I also use the shop vac on the 6" jointer, but not to the extent I fill the collection tub every 5 minutes.
I've tried top hats and variations on them, but no significant improvement on the Jet.
I think an "outside" vent would improve efficiency dramatically, but I can't bring myself to testing that.
Dr Robert does that, if I recall correctly?

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
I clean my shop every day that I do some actual work in it. Between my air jet on the air compressor and a leaf blower I can blow down the entire shop, walls included, in around 5 minutes. Blow it into a pile near the door. The shop vac or a broom and dust pan will pick it all up.
The Home Depot cyclone dust collector on top of a 5 gal bucket with a big shop vac catches most of the dust directly from the tools. I only use it on the table saw and planer.
If you blow down the shop every day, the saw dust wont get out of control. Besides, if you drop a screw or small part, you can easily find it again. I also have a HF magnetic sweeper. It also comes in handy for finding dropped small parts including screws that find their way into the parking lot and into your tires.
Never really thought about it before but I guess the air jet on my air compressor hose is probably my most used tool.

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
Unless you have a very high efficiency dust collector, 5 HP motor, 14" impeller, you just can't get enough "suction" from a 1 1/2 HP system, at least that's my experience , Jet 1.5 HP 1100 CFMs?
I still use it on the thickness planer and drum sanders, but I've found a shop vac to be more efficient on my bandsaws, the RAS, the above the blade DC on the table saw and router tables. I also use the shop vac on the 6" jointer, but not to the extent I fill the collection tub every 5 minutes.
I've tried top hats and variations on them, but no significant improvement on the Jet.
I think an "outside" vent would improve efficiency dramatically, but I can't bring myself to testing that.
Dr Robert does that, if I recall correctly?

Your doing something wrong because I have a jet 1.5 as well and it's meeting all my needs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts