Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5hp rigid shop vac that I wouldn't mind using for a dust collection system. Is it doable? What upgrades/modifications would you suggest for this to be a good system. Will I be replacing the filter all of the time?

·
Registered
335 Posts
It will not work as well as a duct collection system. Yes you will need to either be replacing filters often or you could get a washable filter and wash it out. Perhaps have two of the washable ones so you can continue working while one is drying.

I used a shop vac for a while then made the jump to a JDS dust collector.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I have a 5hp rigid shop vac that I wouldn't mind using for a dust collection system. Is it doable? What upgrades/modifications would you suggest for this to be a good system. Will I be replacing the filter all of the time?
I've been using a shop vac for about 3 years now. About the only option when you have neither the physical space nor the electrical power to run a dedicated dust collection system. Not as efficient as a dedicated system does work pretty well. George is correct though, unless you add a Dust Deputy, Thein baffle or some other means of separating out the dust and chips, you can go through a phenomenal amount of vacuum cleaner bags. I put on a dust deputy
Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone - Amazon.com
and it dropped my vacuum cleaner bag use from 1 or 2 a month to zero in 15 months.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a shop vac with the dust deputy. It works pretty well. I don't have the space to set up permanent DC, so I just connect whatever I'm using to the shop vac and DD.

·
where's my table saw?
27,863 Posts
generally speaking

A shop vac will be OK for dust from a router table, ROS, miter saw guard, bandsaw port where only fine "dust" is being generated in relatively small amounts. The 8 gal or 16 gal container will not fill up before the filter needs cleaning. The filter will clog long before that happens, unless a Dust Depity or other cyclonic separator is used.

For a jointer or planer which generates chips, not dust, it will not work very well. The 2 1/2" hose will get blocked shortly, the container will fill in short order with the larger chips if the planer is used continuously. I would not expect good results with a shop vac hooked to a planer or jointer.

Even a 1 stage DC with a blower and bag will be better. Like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

Here's mine sitting on top of the 13" Foley Belsaw planer:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
+1 on the dust deputy (or other) i would place the dd on a large can (5 ga will fill too fast), and you will be surprised. we use a shop vac with a i micron filter, and a bag that goes in the cannister. we haven't had to change in one year, and no apparent suction loss yet.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have a shop vac and the dust deputy. It works just fine for me. It kept up with my planer as long as I didn't feed the boards too quickly. Feed one through and let it catch up. Repeat.

I have since bought the HF 2hp dust collector and use it for the planer, jointer and drum sander. The shop vac/DD is dedicated to the mitersaw and router.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! It sounds like the shop vac in conjunction with a dust deputy or dust right or something similar would be a good alternative to a full sized dust collection system at least until I get more serious about the stuff I'm building. I really liked the photo of the shop vac and dust deputy on its own sled to roll around the shop and take up as small of a footprint as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts