Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys lets hear some of your shop stories. Funny, not so funny, bad, and great. Things that went wrong and ended up ok. Things that went wrong and stayed wrong. Big mess ups. Tricks on other shopmates ( I know that's not a good thing to do but we all have them) any shop stories you have. Lets ear them!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ill start. First day we were in the shop last year someone was on the table saw never used one before and decided not to use the fence. Kicked that board like a mule. Another one is the kid who tried to free hand on a lathe. U can guess how that ended. Your turn!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jjboozel said:
Ill start. First day we were in the shop last year someone was on the table saw never used one before and decided not to use the fence. Kicked that board like a mule. Another one is the kid who tried to free hand on a lathe. U can guess how that ended. Your turn!
Is there a teacher assigned to your class?
Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TomC said:
Is there a teacher assigned to your class?
Tom
Yes there is and he is an amazing teacher. He can't watch everyone though. Some people are just stupid.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jjboozel said:
Yes there is and he is an amazing teacher. He can't watch everyone though. Some people are just stupid.
Well there is something wrong when he lets a student use a TS without being there when the student has never used a TS. if he didn't use the fence and got a serious kickback then he had not been instructed on the use of a table saw or table saw safety.
Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TomC said:
Well there is something wrong when he lets a student use a TS without being there when the student has never used a TS. if he didn't use the fence and got a serious kickback then he had not been instructed on the use of a table saw or table saw safety.
Tom
We were given multiple tests on all the equipment in the shop. We were not supposed to be using the TS at the time of the incident. Some people are just stupid. It's that plain and simple. The teacher was going over how to S4S a board. And the kid moved on to the TS and cut before he was told to. It was by no means the teachers fault.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TomC said:
Tom
This is ment to be a fun thread with some shop stories not an argument on my instructor. If you have any more questions or concerns you can PM me but I would like to hear others stories and not have them think this is going to turn into a fight.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well...............I cut a board and it was too short..............so I cut the other end....................:blink::laughing:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger Newby said:
Well...............I cut a board and it was too short..............so I cut the other end....................:blink:
Lol that's a good one!!!!!! Hahahaha u guys know what I meen. Cool funny stories throw some mess ups in there ( put a hole in a project) finishing a project and something bad happend you guys know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jjboozel said:
This is ment to be a fun thread with some shop stories not an argument on my instructor. If you have any more questions or concerns you can PM me but I would like to hear others stories and not have them think this is going to turn into a fight.
I just don't find anything funny about your story or the way your shop operates. I took shop in high school over 50 years ago. About 10 years ago I took a wood working class thru a community college. It was all adults. We did not operate the table saw without the instructor there until he was sure we knew how. I agree enough has been said but let tell some funny stories.
Tom

·
Registered
137 Posts
In grade school shop class (a very long time ago), I was using a drill press to cut the handle hole in a tack hammer head. My assigned partner was holding the (very heavy) drill press vice, but lost control. It began to spin like mad on the table. Naturally, when something goes wrong in a drilling operation, one should raise the bit - or so it seemed. Drill press vice went flying into the midsection of a passing friend, who folded as though upon a dotted line.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
daveinjersey said:
In grade school shop class (a very long time ago), I was using a drill press to cut the handle hole in a tack hammer head. My assigned partner was holding the (very heavy) drill press vice, but lost control. It began to spin like mad on the table. Naturally, when something goes wrong in a drilling operation, one should raise the bit - or so it seemed. Drill press vice went flying into the midsection of a passing friend, who folded as though upon a dotted line.
Wow! Sounds like a complete cluster $&@¥ lol I can imagine that kid just dropping. Everyone was alright correct?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I graduated in 76, and hair was very important then. I watched a guy get his shoulder length hair get too close to a wire wheel on a drill motor. It wound up tight to his scalp. A friend of his was helping him out when I left. I took him two hours to get it out :D

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Here's a couple of really stupid ones.

I tried to joint a 4" long piece on the jointer. Holding the piece down with forefingers and the thumb as the pusher. Piece not quite long enough to clear the throat. Result was a much thinner thumb.

Got 3 new bandsaw blades from an online seller. All were nicely coiled and wired to hold them in their coil. I selected the 1/4" one to use and unwrapped/un wired it. Predictably, it uncoiled all at once and flew across the shop. Besides scaring me near to death and knocking my glasses off, it wasn't a problem. Just picked it up and installed it on the saw. Then I noticed that the teeth were pointing up. The company had made up the blade backwards! I was really mad that I couldn't use that new blade. I stewed about it a while and had almost decided to call the company and get a replacement when it dawned on me. Just needed to turn the blade inside out. I'm really glad I didn't call.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
what's that pipe for?

My first shop was an old, oversized two car garage that I had rented. There was an old galvanized pipe stick up out of the floor that looked to be abandoned and I wondered what it was for. I found out one morning when I arrived to find everything in my shop floating around in about a foot of water.

Seems my landlord (who lived next door) was in his crawl space and found a valve that he decided to turn on and leave on. Meanwhile there is water squirting out of the pipe in my shop all night. Took me a couple of hours to figure out where the water was coming from. Finally got the valve turned off. I carefully explained to my landlord (not the sharpest tool in the shed) not to ever turn on that valve again. You guessed it, arrived the next morning to find everything floating around again. I was angry enough to use the landlord as a human mop but managed to control myself. I did have some choice words with him. Nothing ever came out of that pipe again.

What a mess, but I can laugh about it now.

Bret

·
Registered
300 Posts
I taught woodworking back in the "dark ages", late '60s, and had just given a demonstration on the radial arm saw. After showing how to change the blade and making sure everyone heard me say "it has left-hand threads", I asked if anyone wanted to reassemble it. The only girl in the class said "I'll do it". She slid the blade on (backward naturally), then attempted several times to put the arbor nut on. I reminded her that it had left-hand threads. She replied "well, I'm using my left hand". Will never forget that.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Back in the early 80's a designer gave me a client that was opening a new law office, and needed all the furniture and a law library. I did a nice job with Red Oak, and had all the work installed for his open house party for his friends, many which were lawyers and doctors. I was really excited about what a great bit of advertising it would be for me.

Some time after that the lawyer wanted to renovate his condo, and wanted me to make one of the bedrooms into a judges chamber, all in Red Oak. He was planning on a vacation and wanted it all installed before he got back. I got to work.

When I started installation, wife #2 went with me to help. Well, I was in a rush getting it all together, and when I got to the point of hanging the doors and drawer fronts, I had forgotten to drill the handle holes. So, I showed my wife how to measure for them and had a pattern to place down. It was really a piece of cake.

There was a brand new Oak floor installed, so I showed her how to place a scrap piece of plywood down to use as a backing so she wouldn't drill through. I then went on to doing something else. I checked on her after a while, and found out she had drilled through to the floor, and there were a bunch of holes in the brand new floor. I was sick.

I took out my touch up box, and used fill, and touch up crayon pencils. When I got done, they were almost invisible. You really had to get on your hands and knees to see the repairs. I finished up the job, the designer checked it out, and issued a check for the balance.

A couple of weeks later no news about how the client liked the work, or if the holes got discovered. I was told, that the client never saw the work. Another lawyer who attended the open house party bought the condo while the client was on vacation.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I went to work for a guy who ran an ad in the paper.
When I went to be interviewed, he had a nice fully equipped shop.
First day he handed me drawings for 12' of 8' tall mahogany closet boxes, solid wood.
I thought it strange there wasn't any plywood, or a toe-kick, some fillers, maybe crown in the plans but I didn't want to question new boss.
After 3 weeks it was finished, he sent me on installation.
The room he measured was exactly 12' long with 8' ceilings, no way were these boxes even going to get inside the room.
He had decided to get into the woodworking business, bought the shop and measured up his first job.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts