Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing how much time goes by in my life between working and having time to work in the shop.... Its September now and I last did work in the shop in April!

I guess I can call it reflection time!
Anyways I need some ideas and your thoughts as I continue to clean and set up shop proper. Here are some photos of where I am to date:

The thing I am currently debating is the wall of cabinetry. I will not have any other wall space in the garage, it is pretty much all spoken for and I am starting to wonder if I should make such a big commitment to cabinetry.... The wall opposite the garage doors is pretty much spoken for between a "garage" metal rack that is for the most part floor to ceiling with household items, paint, tools, etc. Beside that is the wooden drawers I built which is about 60% full of construction tools, etc. Above it all is a narrow aluminum shelf that stores some clear totes.

The second picture is the lumber storage wall with the plywood cart below it, besides those items are a water softener and the electrical panel boxes, so that wall is also spoken for...

The third picture is the last wall. The little bit of floor space left is under the shelving closest to the garage door. Its about 6' wide by about 4' high.

The last picture show what I have left as far as machinery to "fit" into the shop. Ideally I want to leave the shop setup for woodworking. I am open to all ideas on placement, space saving ideas, things you would do differently, etc.

I will post this on multiple sites, if you see it twice, feel free to ignore it ;-)

Thanks!

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
All horizantal surfaces are subject to certain laws of physics....no big revelation there.But what isn't obvious about them,because you either have never had very many....or(more likely)....you can't see it but,

Any horizantal surfaces,especially those above your line of site,in a woodshop,are going to be dust hazards.

So,if there is a decision on whether or not to have say,the storage unit going to ceiling or leaving space above....go with the former,absolutely.

But it isn't just storage cabinets......ALL horizantal planes are subject to this.It may not seem like a big deal now but,at some point you are going to have to make a decision on whether you're a WW'er or a maid.And not disparaging on the house keeping trade.....good clean work(ha).But I make a whole lot more money making chips than cleaning them up......anything you can do to keep your shop clean,without it taking time away from builds,the further you'll get.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Build a locking, weather-proof enclosure and put the DC outside, with just an inlet pipe through the wall. Quieter, space-saving, and easier to clean without getting dust all over the shop when you do.

I can't tell but it looks like you may not have any clearance on the Bandsaw. I'd move it far enough away from the wall to get full throat depth clearance. I actually like the position, though.

For the small stuff, build a cabinet that will store it and put it under the shelves between the bandsaw and the door. Make it the right height to be an outfeed table for the bandsaw and give it a decent top so it can double as a bench-top for when you need the grinder, mitersaw(s), planer, etc. Personally I'd put it on locking casters so that it might also function as a mobile outfeed for the tablesaw, assuming it's the same height as the bandsaw table.

I have no idea what that big anvil looking thing is (far right of the bottom picture) but it looks like it's probably heavy. For lack of a better option, I'd put that in the center of the space, off to a side so you can still work with full size sheet goods on the table saw.

I avoid cabinets for the sake of cabinets. If you don't have a specific use/need for the "wall of cabinets", avoid it until you do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BW, the cabs will be flush with the ceiling! Good point on dust, the areas I will have to worry about are any of the open shelves and of course the lumber rack, I did build an in ceiling air cleaner with a very fine industrial bag filter. I haven't had much time to test its cleaning abilities yet.

Thanks Frank, but the DC must stay inside, I live in a residential neighborhood with the "property" police everywhere! The bandsaw is on a mobile base, but I will have to take it off and remount... the 3/4" plywood I used sagged, I should have doubled it up from the start, that thing weighs over 300 lbs. My idea was to roll it to a fixed position in the shop, mark some locations through the bottom flange of the bandsaw and drill some holes in the concrete and install some threaded receivers flush with the floor. Then I could bolt the bandsaw to the floor when in use, prevent it from tipping when milling, unbolt and roll back against wall.

At this point I am thinking fliptop for the mitersaw and planer, and that would end up being stored next to the b.s. under the shelves.
That funky looking anvil is a crude size depiction of my 6" jointer, LOL :laughing:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts