Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off everyone have a Happy, Healthy, Successful and SAFE 2014.

Second - I have a 2 car garage to set up my shop in....now I can't have the whole space but I can have a 20 x 8 foot L-shaped section along the left wall. So I was originally planning on making a 6 to 8 foot long workbench for bench top tools on casters that I could roll out towards the garage door when the weather is nice. My question is are there any benefits (I am unaware of) to having dedicated work stations vs one big bench for the following bench top tools - Router Table, Belt/Circular Sander & Band saw? It seems like every shop has dedicated workstations but I don't know if there is a good reason or its just woodworkers looking for excuses to build something . ;-)

thank

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
The problem is that your always gonna have something on said workbench and then theres no place to operate the benchtop tools or the other way around. I built myself a workbench and all my tools have thier own station. Then I got into turning and my lathe sits on my workbench. I havnt been able to use my workbench for 2 years because of this. Also, its gonna be a pain to have to move a tool your not finished with to use another tool. My shop is smaller than the area you describe and Im able to make everything work with the exception of the lathe having its own stand. That will change very soon though.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
In a space that small, mobility is very valuable. I have a stationary bench that usually has crap on it, and a 4' mobile bench. All stationary tools are mobile and many portable tools are wall hung. Except for an upright tool storage cabinet and my one bench, everything is mobile. 12x20 single car garage is my shop and, except for the second TS, I can store all my tools and get my minivan in there.

How' s that TS coming along?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more I think about it and reading your thoughts on it, it does make sense to have dedicated work stations for flexibility and better dust collections as well. Thanks guys!

Toolguy - There just hasn't been time for me to work on the TS. I had some unexpected family members stay over during the holidays that have totally jammed me up :-(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts