Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pirate was interested in building a shop like mine and we've been talking about it for the last few days. I told him I would take some pics and post them up. Anybody else that is considering one like this feel free to take a gander.

Man door

Windows

8x9 roll up doors

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Was this a kit? I have thought about building one when the times comes, which will likely be 3-5 years away.

Mark

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
They are prefab'd but built to your specs(width, length, ceiling height, doors, windows etc)

Do you have a website for where you got your kit through?

What to you like, and dislike about the kit?

Is your shop insulated? If not, do you feel it be easy to insulate it?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.
I found out, different building companies, have different spacing on the uprights. I will want mine on 4' centers, for ease of installing plywood walls in one area. I am thinking of 30 x 60, with a 15 x 30 woodshop area at one end, with wood walls and insulation, between the wood and metal, and an air conditioner.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a website for where you got your kit through? What to you like, and dislike about the kit? Is your shop insulated? If not, do you feel it be easy to insulate it? Thanks for the info.
Check out Carolina car ports and yes mine is insulated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I found out, different building companies, have different spacing on the uprights. I will want mine on 4' centers, for ease of installing plywood walls in one area. I am thinking of 30 x 60, with a 15 x 30 woodshop area at one end, with wood walls and insulation, between the wood and metal, and an air conditioner.
Mine is on 4' centers with horizontal bracing on all 4 walls. Bracing at the corners and bracing at the eve.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Your shop looks like my brothers shop, same prefab. His has been thru some tough storms too. I like his shop. If I hadn't already built mine I'd have liked to have one like it.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Hey Waterboy this is great and just what I’ve been looking for. Thanks so much for posting and I may have a lot of questions for you.

I don’t have room on my current small lot to build anything, but I’m hoping I can find a place with enough room that I can afford after I retire. I don’t have a lot of money and its going to be really bad after I retire.

Anyway, I’m currently squeezed into 3 car garage with 8’ high ceilings. I believe it’s 30x24, but there are other household stuff that takes up space like the wife’s 4’ wide storage cabinet, 2nd refrigerator, large chest type freezer and whole 4x6’ corner filled with camping and toys storage. Oh and I almost forgot a furnace and water heater too. So I think a 36x24 separate shop especially with a high ceiling might just work great for me. Oh and I love the Roll up doors. there is so much that I would like to hang above my work bench but can't because my doors.

I’ve been getting quotes for the prefab buildings, but nobody wants to quote the slab without an actual address. So how much did the slab cost you? I used to pour slabs when I was in my 20’s but I just don’t have the strength these days. I could build the forms, but I can’t pour or finish the concrete.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey Waterboy this is great and just what I’ve been looking for. Thanks so much for posting and I may have a lot of questions for you. I don’t have room on my current small lot to build anything, but I’m hoping I can find a place with enough room that I can afford after I retire. I don’t have a lot of money and its going to be really bad after I retire. Anyway, I’m currently squeezed into 3 car garage with 8’ high ceilings. I believe it’s 30x24, but there are other household stuff that takes up space like the wife’s 4’ wide storage cabinet, 2nd refrigerator, large chest type freezer and whole 4x6’ corner filled with camping and toys storage. Oh and I almost forgot a furnace and water heater too. So I think a 36x24 separate shop especially with a high ceiling might just work great for me. Oh and I love the Roll up doors. there is so much that I would like to hang above my work bench but can't because my doors. I’ve been getting quotes for the prefab buildings, but nobody wants to quote the slab without an actual address. So how much did the slab cost you? I used to pour slabs when I was in my 20’s but I just don’t have the strength these days. I could build the forms, but I can’t pour or finish the concrete.
I graded the pad out, formed it, grade staked it. It took about 15 yards to do my slab. I poured and finished it myself with some help from friends. Cost for concrete was around $2300. Building materials was around $5000. $900 for them to put it up. And about $1400 to wire it(helped a buddy who is a certified electrician and b/c I helped he cut me a deal). Total cost was around $9000. Can't beat it. Considering the cost to stick build one this size would be triple that.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I am dying here from envoy and wish I had something like that at your age. I want one So sooo bad and each year I have to wait, the possibilities look a little slimmer.

If I had a place to put it, I would do it right now. I found a couple ideal places, but they fell through because of theft and vandalism. One place they used a truck to pull the electrical panel right off the wall and a few hundred ft of wire out of the ground. :furious:

I don’t want to build something without somebody living there to guard it. I would imagine it would not be too difficult to break into one of those with without anybody around.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am dying here from envoy and wish I had something like that at your age. I want one So sooo bad and each year I have to wait, the possibilities look a little slimmer. If I had a place to put it, I would do it right now. I found a couple ideal places, but they fell through because of theft and vandalism. One place they used a truck to pull the electrical panel right off the wall and a few hundred ft of wire out of the ground. :furious: I don’t want to build something without somebody living there to guard it. I would imagine it would not be too difficult to break into one of those with without anybody around.
Yea I feel very fortunate to have what I do at my age. (24). I grew up cattle farming and 40hr work weeks on top of school was the norm for me since I was 11 or 12 years old. I was taught at a young age that the only way you will ever have anything In life is to work for it and work hard for it. I still farm and work 4o hours a week at my day job on top of that. I take pride in what I have because nothing was handed to me, I traded up partying and hell raising for a mortgage and a couple acres of land.....and I don't regret it one bit. I work hard every day to try to provide for a family I plan on having one day, I don't get food stamps or assistance and I don't want it. I try to help my neighbors and my family as much as I can. I pay my bills and try to play by the rules. The only thing this ole country boy needs to be happy is what the good lord decides to bless me with and so far I don't have a single thing to complain about. I'm a firm believer in that what makes a man is the sweat on his brow and the callouses on his hands, you work hard enough and do things the right way and good things will come your way. I'm living proof.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Well good for you. :thumbsup:

I grew up with the same values only as a city boy where space was at a premium. Now I’m out of the city were space is adorable, but I choose a home that was socially acceptable for the kids where I knew they would be safe and have lots of friends. Unfortunately that meant a track neighborhood with very small lots. The plus side is school close by with city water, sewer and trash pickup.

But if it weren’t for the kids, I’d be as far from this as I can as long as I have room to do what I want. I personally don’t care much about how a place looks, only practically and I’d be just as happy in a shack as long as I was comfortable. And if I weren't married, I'd live in my shop with a loft bed and a cook stove in the corner. :smile:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After starting this thread I've been doing some thinking(never a good thing). I love my shop that I have now, I remember when I bought the place 2 years ago that I would never have enough stuff to fill this baby up....we'll that day has come. The shop is pulling double duty, one half is my wood shop and the other half is lawn mower, tractor, mechanics tools storage it can get cramped in a hurry. There's not enough outlets and no 220v.

So after thinking about what to do about the situation it hit me....let's build another shop. Although it probably won't be but for another few years I'm gonna tell you what I want out of it since everybody has asked what I would do different.

I have about 2 acres behind my shop now that is untouched ground. I plan on at least another 24x36 maybe 30x36. Same building type but the orientation will be drastically different. Everything will be on 4ft centers(you will find out why later) . I will also pour a separate pad that will
House the air compressors and dust collector. The front side will be the long side. So it will be wider than it is deep. The front will have one 8x9roll up door( to facilitate moving equipment and materials in and out) one window and one man door. Spaced out along the one walls length. All other walls will be solid with no windows to allow me plenty of wall storage.

Before pouring concrete I will run conduit that will exit out of the slab. Giving me plenty of options for machinery placed in the middle of the floor. 4 outlet receptacles every 4 foot all the way around and at least 2 220v outlets on every wall and some in the middle of the slab. I will place outlets on the ceilings while running the lights to facilitate cord reels that can be pulled down.

The interior will be insulated and sheeted and finished like a conventional stick built building. Air conditioning and heat will be installed also.

I'm budgeting $10000 for this build and should have no problem staying comfortably within that number. I'm sure I will think of other things I want to do but this is what I've got so far. If I think of anything else I will update the thread to help others with ideas.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
A few installed, on your slab prices I got.

24 x 30 x 10 with 2, 8x8 doors, 1, 36" door, and 2 windows. $7905
The buildings under 26' don't have the truss type arches. The 30' wide I am looking at below, has the truss type arches, which has a horizontal metal frame member on each arch, about 2 ' above wall height.
In the area I build my shop, I plan on using this to attach dropped ceiling, with insulation above.
The picture shows the trusses for the over 26' wide buildings. Looks like a lumber storage area to me!

I got a quote for insulation, they put between the framing and roof panels. $1/sf.

The building I'm planning is 30 x 50, with 4, 8x8 doors, for $14,370
36" walk door is $300
Windows are $150

I'm also going to get it with just framed overhead door openings, with 45 degree, angled upper corners. Then have standard overhead doors installed, with the top panel having windows.
The reason for this, is the doors in the advertised building for $14,370, included, industrial type narrow slat chain lift doors.
This building will be near the street, and I want it to have more of a residential look.
Also, I want 1 elec door opener, and the openers for the industrial doors are about $1,000.

All told, with the 4 angled door openings, and std. panel oh 9x8 doors, and 1 opener, the cost will increase $800 Windows in the upper door panels will run $128/door

To play and design your building you can go to:
http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/configurator/index#/?step=2&order=392566

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A few installed, on your slab prices I got. 24 x 30 x 10 with 2, 8x8 doors, 1, 36" door, and 2 windows. $7905 The buildings under 26' don't have the truss type arches. The 30' wide I am looking at below, has the truss type arches, which has a horizontal metal frame member on each arch, about 2 ' above wall height. In the area I build my shop, I plan on using this to attach dropped ceiling, with insulation above. The picture shows the trusses for the over 26' wide buildings. Looks like a lumber storage area to me! I got a quote for insulation, they put between the framing and roof panels. $1/sf. The building I'm planning is 30 x 50, with 4, 8x8 doors, for $14,370 36" walk door is $300 Windows are $150 I'm also going to get it with just framed overhead door openings, with 45 degree, angled upper corners. Then have standard overhead doors installed, with the top panel having windows. The reason for this, is the doors in the advertised building for $14,370, included, industrial type narrow slat chain lift doors. This building will be near the street, and I want it to have more of a residential look. Also, I want 1 elec door opener, and the openers for the industrial doors are about $1,000. All told, with the 4 angled door openings, and std. panel oh 9x8 doors, and 1 opener, the cost will increase $800 Windows in the upper door panels will run $128/door To play and design your building you can go to: http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/configurator/index#/?step=2&order=392566
Sounds like a hell of a plan! I look forward to seeing the build thread pirate!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts