Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thought I would do a thread on shop organization. I have just started reorganizing my shop and I'm about to tear my hair out. I'm about the least organized person on the planet and have been trying to find a system that works for me. I don't think the problem is that I dont know where stuff is, I have a squirrels memory for finding things, but I think that I'm wasting space with some of the stuff I have. There are a ton of things that have built up over the years that I'm not using and will most likely never use. Then there are the things that I would use but they are broken. That WELL YA NEVER KNOW YOU MAY NEED THAT! hoarder mentality is making stuff difficult. Anyway. If you think about shop organization at all or you have a system I would love to hear about how your go about things. Ive seen some youtube videos where there isnt a fragment of dust in the entire shop and it blows my mind... I just finished taking out 15 big trashcan loads of shavings:laughing: Thanks in advance, happy turnin,
Bond

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Haha. Made my morning!
Glad to see I'm not the only one.
I took out 130 gal. Of shavings with about another 50 to go( there goes the anti shock floor). I also just installed a separator for the dust collector (can you tell I haven't used it much?? Changing bags is a PAIN)
Am rearranging a couple of stations/tools to improve spacing.
Have fun!
Dave H

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well this makes three of us.
You have heard: A clean desk is a sign that the person does no work. This means that I am soooooo busy that I don't have time to clean.

All kidding aside, there is a difference between messy or dirty and cluttered. I too save things and sometimes they come in handy but most of the time they don't. So you have inspired me to clean up my act, so to speak.

Let us see some pics.

Jackl

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
My shop goes through phases. Depends upon what I've been doing. I'm just a little OCD so it bugs me if my shop gets too messy. One thing I read years ago was to put 5 things away at end if every day and to take 5 extra minutes to clean.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I usually do a shop clean and tool put away at the end of a project, before I start another one. I have bens that hold different things, such a plumbing in one, electrical in another, woodworking in others. My wife thinks the shop is a STORAGE ROOM! No, No I tell her!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think that I am a well organized person, when I have finished using a tool I put it back in its home place and at the end of the day I try to clean up some of the mess ( doesn't always happen )

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just put out to the garbage, 4 huge bags of tiny scrap wood pieces ... I save so much that it becomes insane.
Y'all are not alone....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
I give my sawdust to friends with gardens...makes nice mulch to keep weeds down.

Scraps I either burn myself, or give to friends that camp for firewood.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Shaving disposal and dust is one thing.
For organization.... pegboard and lables for bins.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am hoping to begin on my shop organization renovations pretty soon. I'm planning on adding outlets, painting and putting up french cleats first. Then making a lathe tool rack and sand paper storage shelf/compartmental thingy. I'll add whatever I find necessary to the french cleat system when I come across it. I think that's the beauty of it. I'll try and document the process when I start or at least take some before and after photos.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I only have half is a two car garage to use so organization is necessary to me. Because wifey says is must be clean and I need organized because I hate looking for things. I have been reorganizing everything. Just finished a new set of cabinets/shelves for the shop side. I have a new lathe stand in progress and material for a new bench that I hope to begin later this week. I am on vacation this week so after a few days with the family I hope to make so progress in organization. I will post some pics when I get everything done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have no choice to be organized cause I work in a little more than half a small bedroom.The lathe is in a closet with two bifold doors.Then there is the sander,drill press and band saw.Now I need figure out what to do with the new slow speed grinder and sharpening jig stuff.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I don't have the cleanest shop but it's organized.

I group things together as best I can.

All of my table saw stuff is located in an underwing drawer stack or on a shelf beside the saw.

Most of my router gear is in drawers/shelves in the router table, or on pegboard and shelves at the ends of the table. Fences and large stuff are on pegboard on the wall but might be hung on the back of my RT at some point.

My clamps are all racked up together.

Sanding items are grouped together.

Same with assembly items like pocket hole jig, dowelling jig and biscuit cutter etc.

Most of my drilling/boring kit is located in my cordless charging station.

Finishing nailers, staplers, nail sets putties etc etc are grouped.

This keeps me better organized.

In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that at the moment my shop is a mess. I have tools in my truck and tools in the house.

But... everything has a specific place in my shop and I'll sort it back in when things slow down a bit.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm disorganized and sloppy by nature. Turning has forced me to learn to keep stuff organized and maintained. My rule is: if it stays in the shop then it must have a home. I still let things get messy but as soon as it bugs me a little I can put everything back in its place in short order. Nothing sits on the ground either, besides stationary tools and a trash can. Everything else goes on a wall hook, pegboard or shelf.
Now I actually like having some order so Last weekend I purged, cleaned and organized my garage. Really freaked out my wife:).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts