Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being the C.O.B that I am I make my own T-Track. I use a 3/4"x 12 1/2" x 48" Malamine insert in my 12 1/2" Delta Planer. This allows me to plane very thin pieces and also helps to eliminate snipe. I then use Red Oak an use 36" x 1/2" thick by 3/4" wide base pieces and 36" x 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide top pieces to make the T-Track. I cut a 1/4" deep x 1/2" wide groove in the base piece and then glue the top piece on using brush on Contact Cement on both surfaces. I then cut the 1/4" Groove in the top piece. VOILA' Instant T-Track
I use Toillet bolts for the hold down bolts and have a friend turn my knobs on his ShopSmith Lathe. I told you I was a C.O.B!!!!:yes:

(You can also just use 1/4" Hardboard for the top piece. I use a lot of red oak for my Mission Furniture and have a lot of scraps so I use it)

·
John
3,028 Posts
I make a good % of my own t-tracks also. I invested in a couple of t-slot bits, just run a groove and follow it up with a t-slot bit and you're done. Downside is I have found that wooden slots aren't as durable nor as strong as the aluminum ones so I don't use them in heavy clamping applications. They do work well for sacrificial fences and jigs. I have also found toilet bowl bolts expensive, at least around here. $1.89 for a baggie of two!!! I picked the t-slot bits where I could use off the shelf hardware, 1/4" and 5/16". Making knobs is easy enough also, some plywood, a couple of different size hole saws, a t-nut and off the shelf bolt and it's good to go. Guess I'm kinda cheap too.:smile:

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
I find toilet bolts to be expensive. I use carriage bolts and grind the sides flat to fit

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a Habitat for Humanity Depot here in Tulsa. I get Re-cycled TB bolts for 10¢ each there.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I also use a straight bit, followed by a t slot bit. It's great for making jigs, etc. I try to make the slot as deep in the wood as possible, for more strength. Waxing the inside of the slot lets the bolts slide easier.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
and i have seen people use a couple of strips of metal screwed and glued in place for the lips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts