Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was watching a YouTube video and saw a guy using a store bought roller guide to hold the workpiece against his band saw fence. It also served to allow the workpiece to be cut up into a bunch of slices of the same thickness (by using it as a stop when sliding the fence over for the next cut).

I've seen the commercially available roller guide idea before. They can be used as band saw stock guides (to keep the workpiece against the fence). The idea can easily be employed as TS hold downs as well. Just keep in mind that they aren't going to halt kickback. But they sure might prevent kickback from occurring in the first place. Or use them to keep stock against a router table fence.

Anyway, it struck me how easy it would be to create my own roller guides that would be just as good or better than the store bought ones.

I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE, GUYS. I EDITED THIS BECAUSE THE INFORMATION CONFLICTS WITH A SUBMISSION I MADE TO SHOPNOTES MAGAZINE. I PROMISE THIS ERROR ON MY PART WON'T BE REPEATED IN THE FUTURE. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND.

FOR ANYONE WHO MISSED IT IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM, IT WAS THIS TYPE OF GUIDE THAT I WAS REFERRING TO (ONLY SANS THE DEPTH GUIDE FEATURE):

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/wp-content/uploads/Rockler-Thin-Rip-Table-Saw-Jig.jpg

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I sincerely apologize, guys. I edited this because the information conflicts with a submission i made to ShopNotes magazine. I promise this error on my part won't be repeated in the future. I hope you understand.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i sincerely apologize, guys. I edited this because the information conflicts with a submission i made to shopnotes magazine. I promise this error on my part won't be repeated in the future. I hope you understand.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE, GUYS. I EDITED THIS BECAUSE THE INFORMATION CONFLICTS WITH A SUBMISSION I MADE TO SHOPNOTES MAGAZINE. I PROMISE THIS ERROR ON MY PART WON'T BE REPEATED IN THE FUTURE. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND.

If you were already involved in the thread and this alteration affects you, please email me and I promise I won't leave you hanging. THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING.

·
where's my table saw?
27,888 Posts
so simple, so easy

Perfect little helpmate for the shop. It would make a cool thin rip stop positioned on the left side of the blade. Many uses as you said. Nice.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Chaincarver Steve

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Great build thread! I love seeing these simple inexpensive jigs being built. This is definitely going in my to do file.

Mark

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case it's not clear in the photographs, when it's set up for use, it's set so that the bearing contacts the wood about 1/4" before the leading edge of the blade.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Very nice!

The resaw versions are made to resemble roller conveyor systems.Except that they are upright in the "vert" plane instead of traditional flat,horizontal.Most are a 1/2 dz or so rollers ranging from 4 -10 inches in height.

You can also steal skateboard wheels from the neighbor kids...but the older,flat type work better.Find them at yardsales,flea markets.

·
Registered
26,358 Posts
This is some I use. The first is a hold down I have on a router table. The second is a brush I use on the shaper. The third is a sears miter gauge I modified to use on a table saw I made a router table out of where I'm tenoning.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Very good tutorial...
I have something similar from the 80s using a toilet bolt (when they were readily available), and my bearings are a lot smaller.
I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get some thanks in the near future.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nicely done. Puts me in mind of the thin rip gauge sold by Rockler.
Actually, Johnnie, you hit the nail right on the head. I just Googled "Rockler thin rip gauge" and, bingo! That's exactly the item I saw in that video. :thumbsup: I tried to find a picture of it before I posted this thread but I was searching Rockler's site under "feather boards", "roller" and "hold down" and couldn't find it. Now I know what they call it.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Great thread.

Maybe I need to ask a question to push it a bit. I like the approach to thin cuts and the band saw.

WRT the re-sawing, can this method be adapted ti re saw pieces say 5 " x 3/4", 4 or 5 feet long. I can get nice re saw on my band saw, most of the time. But I can get variation in final thickness; Even across the piece.

Can a large jig be created which will support a thin but wide piece in re sawing?

·
where's my table saw?
27,888 Posts
that's a whole 'nother discussion

But briefly I would say no, this device is too low off the table to stabilze a wide board for resawing. Lots of discussion on resawing here and on You Tube.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But briefly I would say no, this device is too low off the table to stabilze a wide board for resawing. Lots of discussion on resawing here and on You Tube.
Correct. But that's not to say that several couldn't be stacked (perhaps with spacers) to create a taller unit. Or several roller banks could be installed into a talker piece of wood.

The main concept I was hoping to get across was how easy it is to make the roller blocks. The end configuration can take many forms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It seems to me the tricky part of stacking them might be getting the exposed bearing edges precisely aligned. Maybe some kind of frame to hold them in alignment while they are screwed together? Might be tough if they weren't all identically shaped.

·
where's my table saw?
27,888 Posts
I resaw using a tall fence

I set the dimension of the piece I want between the blade and the fence, not like this application where the work is bumped to the device. I press the work firmly against the fence keeping as vertical as possible while feeding it into the blade.
I did make a 8" tall roller pressure feed using solid steel rollers for an industrial application on a 30" bandsaw. The rollers had a bearing top and bottom so there was no issue about stacking separate bearings and getting them aligned perfectly. One axle could make that less on an issue. Mine looked like this:

I remember a thread a type of roller support...... :blink:
Something like this:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems to me the tricky part of stacking them might be getting the exposed bearing edges precisely aligned. Maybe some kind of frame to hold them in alignment while they are screwed together? Might be tough if they weren't all identically shaped.
Either make a tall one where each bearing shares the same axle (as Woodnthings just mentioned) or make it so that each one could be pressed against the workpiece before tightening. Not too hard to work around.

·
Registered
26,358 Posts
Personally I think the tool manufacturers are missing a big opportunity. Most everyone knows about the resaw bandsaws which are big industrial machines. I don't know why one of them doesn't make one about the size of a portable planer for the home shop. I think I could modify a portable planer to do that if I had machine shop tools so I know places like grizzly or baileigh could do it.

·
where's my table saw?
27,888 Posts
Makita used to make one

Personally I think the tool manufacturers are missing a big opportunity. Most everyone knows about the resaw bandsaws which are big industrial machines. I don't know why one of them doesn't make one about the size of a portable planer for the home shop. I think I could modify a portable planer to do that if I had machine shop tools so I know places like grizzly or baileigh could do it.
LIke this: http://www.oxide.org/bandsaw/

As did Hitachi:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts