Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up buying a nova 1624 over the holidays and while it sits crated in my garage I'm wondering if it would be wise to build a wood base a ditch the steel legs that come standard with the unit. I was thinking about something like this:

This would give me a little more storage plus I figured I could add a sand tray if needed. For those with novas and do you feel the need for a better base?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Make a larger foot base than the one show. I made my last wooden stand a sort of lopsided A frame. Imagine tilting the A so the side toward your legs was almost straight up and down. The larger footprint will help keep it from vibrating so much.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have the 1624 and use the steel legs with no problems. I've had mine 5+ years with no added ballast. If you feel you want more ballast you can bolt angle iron to the legs to mount a shelf to for sand, etc.

·
Registered
376 Posts
With the base you have in the picture you could also add a plywood or MDF door with a piano hinge across the bottom and have a door that flips out from the top and you can mount all of your chisels and tools to the inside of the door and put your chucks and jaws on the bottom shelf

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have the 1624 too. Believe that the supplied stand/legs are really good. I do turn some larger blanks that don't start out exactly round so I did add a ballast shelf--check my postings for it if you want.
If you're not turning anything that's out of found then maybe the wood base. For my tool storage I bought/modified a 6 drawer cart from Sam's so I can move easily between lathes ( I usually have more than one project going at a time).
Just MHO.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I don't own a nova, but I would build a base. The metal legs look pretty flimsy. If you turn any bowls you will want more weight. I have a jet 1642 and I have a five gallon bucket of lead ( about 400 hundred pounds) on it and it still vibrates a little.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Nova for 3 years or more. I have the standard legs and I rotate the head to do out board turning, I have no problems unless the blanks are off balance. The largest I have turned is 24 inches.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is what I was afraid of 50/50. I may put it together and see what I need for storage; due to my HOA I'm limited to a 12x20 shop so storage is a premium. In time I may end building a base once I get the machine in place cause it looks like I'm going to need several chucks and accessories of accessories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts