Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
preacherman said:
Did you order a motor from the link I posted? If so let us know your experience with the company. I have never ordered from them I was just curious.
And let us see the pics when you build it I am interested in seeing it come together and how it works. Good luck!
Yes, I ordered that second motor(came out to around $60 with shipping) .... Hope it will be powerful enough. I will let you know how it works out.
In the meantime I purchased a box fan and filter today also and duct taped them together.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Almost done.... The fun part will be going in attic to wire in a wall switch.

View attachment 55418
Is this box from a plan in one of the magazines? The reason I ask is it is just almost exactly like mine. Only difference is I used a furnace fan salvaged from a furnace that was replaced by an HVAC contractor in my neighborhood. Works like a charm. If this fan works

·
Registered
210 Posts
ChipperOfWood said:
Is this box from a plan in one of the magazines? The reason I ask is it is just almost exactly like mine. Only difference is I used a furnace fan salvaged from a furnace that was replaced by an HVAC contractor in my neighborhood. Works like a charm. If this fan works
Yes, I posted the plan in an earlier post of this thread.

·
Registered
210 Posts
preacherman said:
Looks good. How thick of ply did you use for it?
3/4". I followed the plans exactly.

On a different note, I got the timer switch installed in the wall and plan to hang it tonight after I pick up some hardware.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok, I am finished. (except I plan to get a rubber door seal of some sort to add so that it gets a good closed seal where the panel slides.)

Here is what it cost me:
motor ~$60
sheet of 3/4" plywood ~$30
power cord ~$8
cheap filter ~$2
medium quality filter ~$10
top of the line filter ~$20
wall switch ~$22
misc hardware ~$10
feeling of completing a project ~priceless

I plugged it into the outlet where my garage door opener was plugged in and ran a wall switch to control that half of the outlet. This wall switch allows me to switch has a timer so I can leave it to continue cleaning the air when I am done and it will shut off after the set time.

It is pretty quiet!! Barely tell it is on...didnt even need to adjust volume on my radio. :) I just hope it is good enough to do an adequate job. Only time will tell. (I will still keep an eye out for an old furnace blower just in case).

I decided I didnt want to mount it flush with ceiling so that I could easily disconnect and relocate if needed. Also my studs in ceiling are 24" apart, so since the case is 24" I had to modify it with some angle brackets sticking out one side.

Since I "usually" keep all my tools against the wall, I placed it towards the center of my garage on the side of the garage opener closest to my tools. Hopefully it is a good location. (didnt have a whole lot of options)

Enough talking about it...here are some photos.
Ceiling Roof Lighting Room Architecture Ceiling Property Wall Room Roof Electronic component Switch Electronics Technology Electronic device Ceiling Electrical wiring Electronics

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
nicely done. good execution of what looks to be a shopnotes design. great attention to detail. even the timer wall plate screws line up! and i really like that timer. up to 4 hours! gotta look into changing my one hour timer for that one. course, that timer costs more than my whole air cleaner.

·
Registered
210 Posts
toolguy1000 said:
even the timer wall plate screws line up!
Haha... That's actually a signature of mine that I always do... A tick of mine, I guess. It let me know that I was the last one to remove it. :)
I have cracked plates before trying to make them line up. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very nicely done. Where did you get that wall switch timer? That is the one thing I have not done with mine yet.

Yours looks almost the same as mine which was built with plans from a Shop notes magazine. Here are some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
ChipperOfWood said:
Very nicely done. Where did you get that wall switch timer? That is the one thing I have not done with mine yet.

Yours looks almost the same as mine which was built with plans from a Shop notes magazine. Here are some photos.
Same plans. I got the switch from home depot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great thread. I don't have much headroom in my shop and was thinking of making a vertical unit with wheels so I can roll it away when not in use or when it cannot be in the center of the floor. Does anyone have one like that? Would you put the intake at the top (about 4 ft) and blow out the bottom? I have a fan from my old house furnace that I saved.
Thanks

21 - 34 of 34 Posts