Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
sign guy
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get free high output 8' florescent light fixtures for my future shop in my basement which I used in my garage I love this lighting I can see every little detail when working. my question is should I buy enrgy effient lighting because it pays for itself and save more in the future? tanks sign guy

·
Registered
197 Posts
No way! Take HO lights over standard any day of the week! They are almost twice the cost. I know... I was an electrician for many years...

Or, just pack them up and send them my way. :)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Sometimes, just some times, short term trumps long term advertising hype.
Get the good lights, your eyes and your head will thank you.
I run 2 x 18W LED carving lights, each as bright as 150 incandescent.
$45 each and I will not blink for a second.
Instant on or off, cold to the touch. I needed them.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Well I guess it depends on how many lights we're talking. I have (16) 48" T-8 bulbs in 4 fixtures you can probably put out more light for the same cost has my setup with only (3) 8' HO bulbs. Even if not how long will they actually run to worry about the use cost. Mine are like 6 years old and on everyday 4-12 hours a day. Never replaced a bulb yet but I still think the HO would be better.:thumbsup:

·
Splinters
357 Posts
I have four of the HO lights in my little 15 X 15 shop and am so glad I chose them. By far the brightest I've seen....

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
You might consider putting a frame around the fixtures to hold plastic diffuser panels or wire mesh. As low as your ceiling is it's real easy to bump the bulbs and break them. I broke one before and the tube came down and the end penetrated my leg before it hit the floor. Several stitches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts