Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the shop thgreads of Davester64 and captain awesome and I thought that if I posted what I am trying to do with mine your combined wisdom would help me with the planning.

We bought this place in 2005. It had an old 20x26 garage with rot all around the bottom of the walls. The first order of business was to tear it down. Being addicted to salvage, I saved the doors, the openers, the electrical panel and all the wiring and fixtures. Also saved the soffits and eavestroughs along with 14 sheets of aspenite.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81632&stc=1&d=1382629949

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So until this spring it was dedicated to the restoration of the old car with tools, parts and lord knows what else scattered all aeound. The build thread of that is available here http://forums.aaca.org/f190/reconstruction-34-chevy-master-coupe-297983.html if anyone is interested.

So, whenever any woodworking took place, it took several hours of picking up and rearranging things to be able to do anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now that the car is complete I am reverting the shop to woodworking as a main function. Any mechanical work will be of a maintenance nature. Of course, it will still be a garage as well.

The first thing I did was to clean up all the bench tops, then remove the 6" vise from the wooden bench and move it to the black tool box which will become the mechanical bench. I installed a cheap woodworking vise on the wooden bench until I decide whether I need or want a better one.

So here's some before and afters of both benches.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then I cleared an area at the West end and restacked the willow from the storm that I had stacked outside See: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f26/storm-wood-54921/. The whole bundle is on dollys and can be moved.

The elm went on the wall rack and the silver maple on the shelf above the bench. I used the dolly that had carried the old Chevy's differential around and stacked all the firewood length black ash.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a pile of stuff in the area between the cabinets on the North wall and the first big door. I cleared that out and built a Daren Nelson rack/table which soon filled up. I also rearranged the space between the big doors so that the woodworking stuff is at the front. Everything is on wheels except the wooden bench and the Darren Nelson table.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cleaned out the drill press' corner.

It looks blocked in but rolls right out of there.

P1040521.jpg

The little three drawer cabinet came from a sewing machine. I want to mount it to the base of the drill press and it will hold the bits, clamps and whatever else.

P1040522.jpg

I'm also thinking about this table/fence assembly. Has anyone used this? I realize there are some plans for shop building similar items but I find this one kinda pretty.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/Page.aspx?p=63315&cat=1,240,41060

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you keep the dust off/away from car?

I have a dust cover for it. I don't always remember to put it on so I end up dusting quite a bit. On nice days, I put it outside when I work. During the winter, I use the cover and it stays on.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice setup, Landman. It looks like you've got plenty of space. You do need a car cover though. The more woodworking you do the dustier the car is going to become.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice setup, Landman. It looks like you've got plenty of space. You do need a car cover though. The more woodworking you do the dustier the car is going to become.
We're getting there. I aim for a place for everything and everything in its place...hopefully.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Very nice. I have to keep my tools in order too. I can roll most of them even though I don't need too.

Nice drill press table but too easy to build to buy it.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice Shop- beautiful car and restore!!!! :thumbsup:

Reactions: landman

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Pat, I just checked out the link to your car restore thread. WOW! Just wow! To see the condition of that car when you first got your hands on it... it was an utter wreck. a complete rust bucket. Something one would be more than justified to send to the scrap yard. But to see what you did with that old artifact is mind blowing.

You did an amazing job on that car. A perfect example of an absolutely fantastic restore job. Bravo! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pat, I just checked out the link to your car restore thread. WOW! Just wow! To see the condition of that car when you first got your hands on it... it was an utter wreck. a complete rust bucket. Something one would be more than justified to send to the scrap yard. But to see what you did with that old artifact is mind blowing.

You did an amazing job on that car. A perfect example of an absolutely fantastic restore job. Bravo! :thumbsup:
Steve, thank you for the kind comments. If it hadn't been my dad and if it didn't hold all these memories when we played in it as kids, it would still be rotting in that field. If I told you it isn't for sale, would you believe me? :icon_smile:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today, I installed the sewing machine drawer stack to the base of the drill press. Because it sticks out the front, I had to move the front wheels to the side and the screw feet to the front.

P1040524.jpg

P1040525.jpg

Then I made some spacers to center and hold the cabinet on the base. I also found a piece of MDF that almost fit perfectly on the top.

P1040526.jpg

P1040527.jpg

It will hold most of the bits, the vise and various clamps. It also adds weight to the front of the rig. That was a tippy affair when the wheels were up.

P1040529.jpg

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
Nice Job Landman, but this picture (and the accompanying story behind it) put a lump in my throat.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Schnitz, that picture shut me up for several minutes. It will receive a frame that will have inlays of both original wood from the car and wood from the farm where it sat for 5o years. Thank you for the appreciation.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts