Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a good condition but slightly used Grizzly dust collection system. I used it for the first time yesterday to clean up a pile of planer saw dust (I will be putting most of my equipment on the system) but was getting a static electric shock every few seconds. The dust collector is on a casters and it doesn't appear to have been worked on or tampered with in any way. I know my shop is wired correctly. Has anyone else run into this? I tried attaching a chain to the drag on the floor and that helped some but not completely. I would like to keep the mobility of the dust collection but the electric tickle is a little aggravating:blink: . My concrete slab may not be that good a ground as there is a layer of foam insulation between it and the ground. I may have to make the DC stationary and run a wire out to a ground rod. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mart

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Welcome Mart. As you have figured out static electrical build up is the culprit.
You don''t have to make it stationary, just make sure the unit, and the ducting, have a direct path to ground via a good conductor. A chain is going to have such a voltage drop as to be ineffective and if any two links are somehow not touching then you have a open and no discharge is taking place at all.

The DC does not know if it is mobile or staionary, but it does know whether or not is has a path to ground to get rid of those pesky electrons waiting to bite you (and possibly ignite an explosion!:blink: ).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dust Collector Grounding

I noticed your dust collector problem. I bought a roll of copper wire from Woodcraft and ran one wire from a screw on the collector to the screw on my router table switch(the screw that attaches the switch to the metal)table. I ran another piece of wire from the same screw on the collector inside the 4inch hose and out of it and spliced it into the other wire with wire connectors.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts