Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have often been dumbfounded at the cheap deals for pieces of machinery in the States... There really isn't all too much available here in Canada.

Does anyone have experience shipping machinery across the border? How do you go about it? what's the cost? What's the border fees?

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
243 Posts
hands made for wood said:
Hey guys! I have often been dumbfounded at the cheap deals for pieces of machinery in the States... There really isn't all too much available here in Canada. Does anyone have experience shipping machinery across the border? How do you go about it? what's the cost? What's the border fees? Any help would be much appreciated!
Not sure about shipping internationally I would just call the company you're ordering from and ask. Be careful about so called American tool companies though. A ton of them are American based companies but their tools are cheap crap made in China instead of the USA. Also some of our big name tool makers are owned by black and decker now and black and decker is junk. I've noticed quality decrease in power tools dramatically in the last 7-8 years. Make sure to really do your research on whatever you want to buy.

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about shipping internationally I would just call the company you're ordering from and ask. Be careful about so called American tool companies though. A ton of them are American based companies but their tools are cheap crap made in China instead of the USA. Also some of our big name tool makers are owned by black and decker now and black and decker is junk. I've noticed quality decrease in power tools dramatically in the last 7-8 years. Make sure to really do your research on whatever you want to buy.
Yeah I know what you mean! I've learnt to do my research before you buy anything... I was referring to buying used machinery. Not sure if you can make up the money in the cost to ship it..

·
Registered
243 Posts
hands made for wood said:
Yeah I know what you mean! I've learnt to do my research before you buy anything... I was referring to buying used machinery. Not sure if you can make up the money in the cost to ship it..
My best advice would be to check out eBay or Amazon. I've seen some stuff on eBay where people will ship. You probably won't get someone to ship a table saw but maybe some smaller stuff. I did run across a couple websites of companies who do sell used equipment and ship. Not sure how their prices compare or what the shipping fees look like but they will ship. I wish I would have saved those websites but you may be able to find them if you google it. Also stuff like refurbished dewalt planers you can get on eBay from a company who refurbs them and they only cost 300-400 max with free shipping. Not sure what kind of equipment you want to buy but stuff like that can be found on eBay for really good prices and a lot of times free shipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.