Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a laminate kitchen worktop, made by wilsonart, it’s called ebony star, I drew a line on the laminate side with a pencil and then rubbed it out with a pencil rubber and now the rubbed out area has left what I can best describe as a 'shiny mark' that stands out against the rest of the laminate worktop.

I created that mark again on a spare piece of the same worktop and I have used the following below to try and remove this ‘shiny mark’ but I have had no success, can anyone please help me with any advice?

Products I have used already: windowlene window cleaner, mr sheen polish, cif, flash, white spirit, nail varnish remover which contains acetone, wood and laminate tough wipes, dettol surface cleaner.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I would try this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-Ultimate-Remover-easy/dp/B00030419I
I am not familiar with the surface material myself. But it would have to be tough so I am assuming a pencil eraser did not damage it, just leave a rubber/pencil carbon residue mix that you have not been able to lift. I know Goof Off will take off rubber sole boot "skidmarks" from a hard surface for example. I don't know how the 2 compair, but I have used it to clean up some little boo-boos in the past.
Another idea is WD-40...I have yet to find something it would not do :laughing:. For me it works better as a cleaner than a lubricant.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sounds like you polished the surface.
No matter what you put on it, it's a polished surface, slicker.
Try a mild abrasive, like a auto rubbing compound,
a aggressive one that won't shine the surface like
a polish would.
Maybe a damp rag with a little cleanser will work.
Just don't overdo it or you'll bring out the gloss again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would try this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-Ultimate-Remover-easy/dp/B00030419I
I am not familiar with the surface material myself. But it would have to be tough so I am assuming a pencil eraser did not damage it, just leave a rubber/pencil carbon residue mix that you have not been able to lift. I know Goof Off will take off rubber sole boot "skidmarks" from a hard surface for example. I don't know how the 2 compair, but I have used it to clean up some little boo-boos in the past.
Another idea is WD-40...I have yet to find something it would not do :laughing:. For me it works better as a cleaner than a lubricant.
thanks for the advice, i'll try and get hold of it here in the UK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like you polished the surface.
No matter what you put on it, it's a polished surface, slicker.
Try a mild abrasive, like a auto rubbing compound,
a aggressive one that won't shine the surface like
a polish would.
Maybe a damp rag with a little cleanser will work.
Just don't overdo it or you'll bring out the gloss again.
thanks jim, i'll give it a go

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Doron; CALL your supplier or wilsonart in UK directly. They normally are great folks to deal with and they will be able to solve the issue before you possibly make it worse. Naptha might work but CALL much safer,faster,cheaper.
JackM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doron; CALL your supplier or wilsonart in UK directly. They normally are great folks to deal with and they will be able to solve the issue before you possibly make it worse. Naptha might work but CALL much safer,faster,cheaper.
JackM
hi, thanks for your comment, i have called them and they were the ones to suggest the items i have tryed already, the only other thing they mentioned was a 'white block' called erase away (different brands on the market) but i haven't tryed that yet, what is naptha that you mentioned? thanks

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Naphtha, which is almost alwasy mispelled by leaving out one of the "t"s, is in one role a solvent but has so many uses it's had to know them all from campstove cooking fuel to making napalm.
When I was in the USCG I had a Chief who frequently downloaded gobs of random info like that to anyone who would listen. I listened. :smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts