Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just received 6 chairs and 2 of them someone put a shiny coat on them. And the others are like a satin to a semi gloss coat. Is there anyway that I could rub them down with something to dull the shine without having to strip the whole thing. I was thinking maybe laquar thinner or something like that. I would really appreicate any help with this. Thanks alot
Mel

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi,
I just received 6 chairs and 2 of them someone put a shiny coat on them. And the others are like a satin to a semi gloss coat. Is there anyway that I could rub them down with something to dull the shine without having to strip the whole thing. I was thinking maybe laquar thinner or something like that. I would really appreicate any help with this. Thanks alot
Mel
I'm not really sure, BUT, I think you'd just have to put a clear coat of Satin poly. over them... :eek: :laughing:

You could try it, in some out of the way place, bottom of leg, etc., to see if it works.

Did you buy them? If so, make the seller make it good...

Let us know OK?

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
#0000 steel wool. Thinner make blotch the finish if there is any stain in it at all.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Boat makers usually use steel wool for cutting the shine from a finish. It works well to turn a gloss into a satin. Maybe 0000 wool would do the trick. Test it on a less visible portion of the leg (near the floor) or something to see if you like the results before doing the whole project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts