Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a medium-sized entertainment center and hoping to hang it on an exterior wall of my house, using brackets made by Rakks. I've been adding up the total weight and it seems like, including LPs, the TV and the shelves, it might be as much as 450 lbs. I'm wondering if this is too much.

The house was built in 1946 and has real plaster over studs. (The wood itself seems considerably denser than what you would buy today. Hard to get screws in.) All support brackets will be anchored into studs -- every 16". The whole thing will be 4-6 feet wide (some shelves are wider, some are narrower). Bottom shelf will have 4' of LPs (heavy), top shelves will have 6' of CDs (lighter). Two other shelves will have DVD, receiver, etc. Flat screen TV will be about 50-80 lbs.

I've got other shelf units in the house that are probably holding as much as 300 lbs, maybe more, also attached to studs, and they seem fine.

The brackets I'm using are supposed to be strong enough. I'm wondering about the wall itself.

Many thanks to anybody who has any thoughts or suggestions about this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 or 6 studs depending on which shelf is involved. No less than 4.

The only heavy shelf is the bottom -- 16" with the LPs.

Basically the same as two big guys doing pull ups on a bar attached to the wall. I've got 300 lbs on other walls and they seem fine.

But I take your point. I can put legs under the bottom shelf. Just seems inelegant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks guys -- that's super helpful.

The lower shelves, below the TV, are the deepest. 16". The biggest weight down there is the LPs, at the bottom. They are 12" deep and will be centered on the shelf. (There are really two shelf units, upper & lower with two sets of brackets. The TV sits in the middle hanging on a wall mount.)

The brackets are designed for #6 screws and apparently can't be modified for bigger ones. I wanted to use bigger screws, but the company that makes them has reviewed my drawings and thinks they are okay. (They also pointed to the top screw as the key issue.) I'm planning to use 2.5" screws. Brackets are 1/2", plaster is 3/4", so they'll be 1.25" into the wood. Could go to 3" if you think it would help.

Picture of brackets is linked below. They're aluminum.
http://rakks.com/portfolio/PopUp/tstyle.html

Thanks for all the help --
Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, got it. Many thanks. Sorry I wasn't clear. The walls don't have wooden lath. Two layers of 1/4" plaster, one on a cardboard foundation. But in any event, I'll use 3" screws. The brackets are rated for 50-100 lbs each. (I am using different sizes on different shelves.) Manufacturer says they are strong enough.

What did you mean by "your going to have 3-4 screws per upright and should have 3-4 latter being better uprights"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The people that make them (Rakks) say that because of the way the standards are designed, you can't get the head of a #8 screw in there. Actually, one problem is that the studs are very dense and in the past, I've usually had to soap any screw that goes in that deep. (Is that something you guys have a bad opinion of?) I can use different supports, but they don't look as good and they're not as adjustable -- but they'd be steel and I could use bigger screws. These also allow you to put the supports at any height, so installation of the verticals (the 'standards') doesn't have to be as precise.

As for legs, I am starting to think that the bottom shelf needs a couple of legs with levelers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.