Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with Shellac.net? I bought some shellac and had questions and have had not heard, several times. In my book that's not good.
Next question. Does anyone have a good method of breaking up Shellac buttons. I've used a plastic bag with a hammer but that's jhust tearing up the bag and I still have chunks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've never used button-lac, but have seen others mention a coffee grinder as well as a blender. Pretty sure both appliance would have to be dedicated to shop use.....or at least don't tell the kitchen boss :no:.
Anyway, I have ordered from shellac.net (quite a bit), though I've never tried to communicate with them on any issues. One thing I will mention, if your trying e-mail it seems to me a lot of companies still don't tend to e-mail requests. Either snail mail or a phone call should get you someone to talk too; but that's only a guess.

·
7,222 Posts
I have only made my own shellac a couple of times and from flakes.

I have visited Shellac.net but have not ordered from them.

If you have a pestle and mortar it should be able to break up the buttons.

You can always just drop the buttons in the alcohol. It will take a little longer to dissolve, but they will eventually dissolve. Stir the jar now and again to reduce the time to get them dissolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts