Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can shellac be wiped on ? i never have good results from using a brush. i was thinking of shellac and then polyurethane on top of the shallac . i need poly cuz its for a kitchen table. i was told shellac first will give wood a 'pop' to highlight the grain. cherry
thank guys

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
You could get away with wiping one coat of shellac. It wouldn't work very well for consecutive coats because the alcohol in it would disolve the first coat. Be sure you use sealcoat. It's a de-waxed shellac. Polyurethane won't adhere to standard shellac.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I can only apply shellac 2 ways: I can spray it, and I can pad it (as opposed to wiping it). Padding is taking a cloth (typical recommendation is linen, though a well washed/worn out tee shirt also works) and wrapping that cloth around a "reservoir". That reservoir is works best if it's some kind of wool, I use my worn out hunting socks (washed, of course). You then charge that reservoir with shellac from something, I use one of those counter top ketchup dispensors, until the shellac starts appearing on the cloth exterior. Twist the whole thing into a tight ball and start applying shellac.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts