Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a solid oak corner desk that I would like to build some shelves that would sit on the desk to hold some ham radio equipment. The shelves would be approx. 12" x 48" and need to support about 100 pounds (minimum).

I was thinking of using oak plywood for the shelf, but not sure what size to use without it sagging. I was not planning to use a center support if I can get away without it

I do not trust adjustable shelves so I was thinking of use some rabbit joints (or a dado) and glue to hold the shelves into the vertical supports. Will this be secure and be able to support the weight without pulling out? I could add screws if necessary.

I am just in the process of designing these shelves as my first wood working project. I would like to match the existing look and finish of the desk as much as I can.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
At 48" with a hundred pounds on it I think any plywood would sag. Sometimes on a shelf like that I make a wide piece of edging on the front of the shelf and put a piece of 3/4" angle iron behind it. That it gets the strength of the steel and you don't see it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts