Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carve a lot of sculptures using alder, native cherry and apple wood. What to do with all those shavings? Use them in your smoker to smoke meat and fish. Works like a charm in my little electric and propane smokers. No need to buy bags of smoking chips if you are a wood worker! Tim

·
Super Moderator
4,846 Posts
I carve a lot of sculptures using alder, native cherry and apple wood. What to do with all those shavings? Use them in your smoker to smoke meat and fish. Works like a charm in my little electric and propane smokers. No need to buy bags of smoking chips if you are a wood worker! Tim
I tried using shavings in my electric smoker and they didn't work, I use saw dust and it works great. I don't know why the shavings didn't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shavings for your smoker

I'll bet a mixture of shavings and sawdust would do the trick. What kind of smoker did you use? Mine is propane fired so it gets pretty hot. That might be the difference? Thanks for replying, Tim

·
Super Moderator
4,846 Posts
I'll bet a mixture of shavings and sawdust would do the trick. What kind of smoker did you use? Mine is propane fired so it gets pretty hot. That might be the difference? Thanks for replying, Tim
Hey Tim, that is a thought, I will try mixing the saw dust with the shavings and see what happens. I have an upright charcoal smoker that I converted to an electric. I bought the controls that goes in a regular oven so I have great control on the heat. I also insulated the entire smoker so I could use it in the winter, it does a great job. I appreciate the suggestion, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts