Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 6" jointer & 12" planer blades in need of sharpening. I also have access to a surface grinder at work. The last time I sharpened my jointer blades with the surface grinder, and a borrowed machinist vise. The guy who owns the vise no longer works there, so I was figuring that for the cost of sharpening multiple sets of blades, I might be able to buy something and do it myself. Anyone sharpen this way? Or any other suggestions for fixtures to buy for this machine? If I have the local sharpening company do it, the bill will come to around $82.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've seen pics of shop built jigs made similar to this commercial model, and folks claim they work good on a good stone. Your service seems to be a little high on knives, Bull Sharpening (bullsharp.com) gets 60¢/inch, so a set of 6" jointer knives would be $10.80, and 2 double edge planer knive would be $28.80...of course there would be shipping costs.

·
7,222 Posts
For my 6in jointer knives, I just cut a groove in a piece of scrap as the same angle as the bevel. The knife and blade are both 1/8in.

I use wet-dry paper on a granite slab. Not difficult to hone or remove small dings. I would likely send out if I had a big ding.

Jig_jointer_knife_sharpening_1317.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
How many blades do you get sharpened for $82? I've had my jointer knives done locally but it's been so long I've forgotten what they charge.
It was reasonable though. I've bought a few Ridgid 6" jointer sets for less than the cost of sharpening. I now have 4 new sets and 3 resharpened sets to last me a lifetime:yes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
90 cents an inch. That works out to 9 6" jointer knives, and 4 12" planer knives. I tend to go quite a ways before sharpening blades, so they are quite dull, and probably with some nicks. As a matter of fact, the 1 set of jointer knives I have sharpened was the one and only time it's been done. The jointer came with 3 sets, and the planer 2 sets. I'm still on the original blades......

·
where's my table saw?
29,190 Posts
there is sharpening and then there is honing

Sharpening requires some serious hand work if you don't use a mechnical wheel or belt. It also reqires a jig of some sort to maintain the blade angle during the process. Honing requires a jig also, but removes much less metal. I've done it both ways depending on the condition of the blades....nicks and such. I use a diamond plate when honing and a splash of mineral spirits for washing away the swarf.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarf

I use a belt grinder for my jointer knives when they are seriously dull. I find that better than a high speed wheel which gets the blade too hot. A low speed frangible wheel works well also. I have no experience with the slow speed plate models., but here are some of the various types:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...fr=ytff1-tyc-inbox&va=jointer+blade+sharpener

Holbren is a great source for new blades at a reasonable cost:
http://www.holbren.com/jointer-planer-knives/

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
90 cents an inch. That works out to 9 6" jointer knives, and 4 12" planer knives. I tend to go quite a ways before sharpening blades, so they are quite dull, and probably with some nicks. As a matter of fact, the 1 set of jointer knives I have sharpened was the one and only time it's been done. The jointer came with 3 sets, and the planer 2 sets. I'm still on the original blades......

That is WAY TOO high in MY opinion...

I forget what my guy charges but I KNOW it is a heck of a lot less to sharpen a LOT more... :yes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm beginning to think sharpening myself would be the way to go. So far, I'm most interested in buying a vise for the surface grinder at work, (might be an issue with the 12" knives), or one of those Grizzly slow speed grinders. (Added expense buying an attachment for planer & jointer knives).

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would recommend looking locally for some mom & pop sharpening services. There is one near me and just about anything He sharpens for me is $2 or $3.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yeah, I'm beginning to think sharpening myself would be the way to go. So far, I'm most interested in buying a vise for the surface grinder at work, (might be an issue with the 12" knives), or one of those Grizzly slow speed grinders. (Added expense buying an attachment for planer & jointer knives).
Since you mentioned it, those slow speed grinders are excellent at sharpening the knives. I have the Tormek and the planer jig. Does a great job, though it does take some fiddling the first time. The cost of tooling up for that would pay for quite a few knife sharpenings, however.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Although they are very expensive, I also own a Tormek with all the jigs. That allows me to sharpen every tool except for circular saw blades. I sharpen expensive kitchen knives for the family (wife, 4 sons and daughter in laws, brothers, sisters, cousins) and neighbors. The Tormek could pay me back if I wanted to open a sharpening business but I like being retired. All my tools are very sharp, even my turning gouges.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HOLY CRAP! I'm just a 1/2 hour down the road from you! If you ever feel like making a few extra bucks, let me know.

·
Registered
885 Posts
MORRIS76 said:
How many blades do you get sharpened for $82? I've had my jointer knives done locally but it's been so long I've forgotten what they charge.
It was reasonable though. I've bought a few Ridgid 6" jointer sets for less than the cost of sharpening. I now have 4 new sets and 3 resharpened sets to last me a lifetime:yes:
Where do you get you Rigid blades from? Neither of our local Home Depot stores carry them

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You'll often be better off buying after market knives than the OEM. 6" jointer knives are available from a lot of places, start with Infinity Tools or Holbren's.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Fred Hargis said:
You'll often be better off buying after market knives than the OEM. 6" jointer knives are available from a lot of places, start with Infinity Tools or Holbren's.
Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, fortunately, there is one member here who has a Tormec grinder who has graciously offered to help me sharpen my knives....turns out he lives only about a half hour away, and actually knows my wife through church!

·
Registered
205 Posts
For minor resharpening, not for removing big dings, you can buy a tool that sharpens the blades in situ by riding on the jointer table. You have to lock the spindle of the machine in the correct position, but that's not too difficult and it works quite well. Because it references from the jointer table, there is no issue of aligning the knives afterwards, it is inherently correct.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts