Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread - but wondering if anyone had tips for sharpening mortise chisels by hand. I've seen a few videos online - but those are mostly for honing them - not fixing a fairly trashed chisel. I found this mortise chisel in a bucket in my dad's basement and would like to use it - but it looks pretty abused. There isn't much of a bevel left - so it looks like this needs to be re-established - and the last 3/4" of the chisel necks down from 1/4" to a little over 1/8". From what I understand they should be the same width the full length - should this portion be cut or ground off or would it be usable after putting on a new bevel? Or should it just go back in the bucket?

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
It doesn't have the right socket for a turning tool. It just looks like someone was picking ice and concrete with it. It's still a keeper. It's been struck pretty hard but it's also made to be struck. If it were mine I would follow the instructions and restore it. Yak with the hand tool guys. Many in that section can tell you exactly what it is. Al Nails only hold themselves.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was used to chip mortar or concrete. It was in a bucket with some of my dad's other masonry tools. My dad's bench chisels are similarly rounded as well and I know they have been used as screwdriver, pry bars and putty knives in a pinch.

From the markings I can find on it, it was made by Ohio Tools and looks similar to other Ohio tools mortise chisels I've found pictures of online.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The chisel is ground on its sides about 3/4" from the end - it tapers from 1/4" to a little over 1/8". I have a high speed grinder but 3/4 would still be quite a bit to grind off. I am thinking about cutting it off with a hacksaw to the point where it is full width, then try to reestablish the bevel according to the suggestions here. Are there any issues with cutting the length off vs grinding? I'm thinking it would be faster with less heat buildup.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know this is an old thread.. But finally got around to working on the mortise chisel. I got a Grizzly wet grinder a while back so I used it to grind the first 3/4" of the chisel off to get back to where it was full width, then I put on a 20 degree primary and 35 degree secondary bevel. It works pretty good now, but the bashed up handle made it hard to hold so I decided to try to make one. I've only turned a practice spindle before so I decided to make a test handle out of oak before making a final one out of ash or locust.. But the oak one came out nice so I think I'll just keep it. Just need to put on a coat of linseed oil and it will be time to chop some mortises.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.