Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I use the Veritas guide too. I just don't do as well without it. Diamond plate, sandpaper on glass. Push and pull.

I would also like to add. If your chisels are economy models, best off if you at least when you do your first sharpen and hone. Check the back for flatness. Some are curved enough to give you problems and would need more than the first inch flattened.

I strop. I forgot to add that.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Robson Valley said:
Don't have any idea what the proper name might be, BUT. . .
if you turn it over, it looks like a round-nose, wood turning, lathe tool. Approx 60 degree bevel. I have tuned up a few of those over the past couple of years.
It doesn't have the right socket for a turning tool. It just looks like someone was picking ice and concrete with it. It's still a keeper. It's been struck pretty hard but it's also made to be struck. If it were mine I would follow the instructions and restore it. Yak with the hand tool guys. Many in that section can tell you exactly what it is.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.