Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty crappy homemade router table. I had been in the market for a router table or a metal router table top. It had occurred to me that for not much more I could get a shaper. I'm set up for a 220 v but don't know much about shapers. Could it be a router replacement or will I still need a router table? What specs should I look for in a shaper?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I depends on what you want to do. I would expect if you do the same projects as most of the guys here you would be wanting both. A shaper is not a router table replacement. I have a set of 4 shapers that I leave set up for making cabinet doors. The cutters are way more expensive. I like using the router table for cutting dados, making box joints, rabbiting , etc when I don't feel like setting up the dado blade on the table saw or don't want to change the settings on it. I would not want to perform these things on a shaper even though they could be done.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Not a replacement for a router table in a home shop....more set up for production work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts