Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm looking to graduate into a larger shaper to do some custom entry doors as well as give a garage door a whirl. Need to be able to do arches as well. I currently have a regent 1 hp 2 speed unit. prefer to use a single phase unit but i do have a phase converter if needed. Any recommendations as far as unit? Is anyone out there looking to sell one? i think i'd be looking at a 4-5 hp unit minimum.
Thanks, madman

·
where's my table saw?
30,362 Posts

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Get a Whitney. Huge tables, lots of power, lots of spindle under the nut.

Maybe even a dual spindle shaper. Each spindle runs in a different direction, great for pattern work and anything where you would want to switch directions to avoid blow out.

·
Registered
27,884 Posts
I have a Northfield production shaper I bought new in 1987. It works great for me and has never needed any repairs. Mine has a single phase 3hp motor but the unit is available up to a 10hp motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I think I have found a few that are available. I've narrowed it down. I'm making a auto feed a must. The reliant unit I have now after a full days of stiles and rails or panels my hands are numb for a week. Especially my thumbs and recently almost cut off pinky..... Healing slowly..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts