Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a question about shaper cutters, Is it safe to use a MEC type cutter by a manual/hand feed?
I do under stand the difference between them, but not sure if it is really dangerous! cause in youtube every body is doing it, they just limit the cut by several passes, just like cutting a raised panel on a router table.
So is it really dangerous?

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
I personally have never used the mechanically fed only cutters. They are suppose to be more inclined to chip or kickback operating them by hand. If a person thoroughly brushed long pieces of trim down and used a helper to keep the wood traveling at a even speed it should be safe to operate by hand. I just wouldn't completely run something freehand like raised door panels.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Steve, I was just studying my options with shaper cutter, and I found that the manual feed cutters are a bit expensive than the mechanical ones, I am talking about the multi profile head cutters that Freud and CMT provides. Any way I guess spending some extra money is a must to achieve a safe operation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts