Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm basically a "newbie". Dabbled with wood years ago, nothing recently. If these questions have been answered before I apologize. I spent some time searching through old posts and couldn't find answers.

I'm restoring an old house and will need to generate a sizeable amount of wood trim to match the existing materials (baseboards, doors, window surrounds, etc.) I've been looking at the Grizzly 3hp shaper as the basic wood shaping tool Is that a decent starting point?

A specific short-term question: I need to reproduce some window surrounds (casings) and rosettes/cornerblocks. I want to match the existing profile.

For the casings, I assume a shaper with custom knives is in order. Can anyone make a suggestion as to the "best" cutterhead, and where I can get the knives made? The cut profile is probably about 3.25" wide.

Same questions apply to rosettes/cornerblocks. They match the profile of the casings, so I guess I'll have to get a custom cutter set-up here as well. Can anyone recommend a source for the knives? Is there a good vs. bad brand or type of cutter head? I assume I can just mount the cutter in my drill press?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Hi Tom. I cannot speak from personal experience with that particular tool, maybe someone else can. I do know from what I have read though those "shop size" moulder/shapers are only good for what you are looking to do, small amounts.
I wonder if you have ever seen this thing ? It attaches to your table saw to do shaping. http://www.bladesllc.com/cuttermagicmoulder.html#? and if it would do you any good? I have never used it, but have often thought about buying one. Again it is a very small run type thing, but I thought kinda cool. The link is a little confusing at first, you have to click another link "plugs" to see all the profiles (80 total) . I don't know why they did not put them on one page.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think you would be better off getting some custom cutters for
your planer, once set up right, with a guide board, it would be easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts