Woodworking Talk banner

Shaper blade??

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  joasis 
#1 ·
I just started messing around with woodworking again after a few years break. Now I'm trying to make the hobby work with my home restoration business. I'm trying to duplicate the early 1900's baseboard moulding. My stepdad claims his grandfather used to make it on the tablesaw with a special jig. I'm sure there's a shaper bit for this but where do I find it? Dig at auctions or does someone make a new one?

#2 ·
Molding profile

Hi jodiemeglio;
An answer without seeing the profile, is just a guess. Try to post a picture of the profile,(end view), preferably with a rule or tape measure next to it.

We do make many moldings on the table saw, or the shaper, but for some profiles, it pays to have someone do it for you.

Lee :thumbsup:
admin@prowoodworkingtips.com

#6 · (Edited)
Craftsman made a shaper cutter with several profiles available that would fit a table saw, radial arm saw, etc. It is 6 inches or so in diameter, and has 3 "bits"...and I have seen many different bits for them. I have a set, but I have no idea if they are still available.
!
I was wondering the same thing. I still do a little resto work and could do much more sub work, the old shapers are hard to find . If a guy was doing 1000's of feet, go out and buy a real machine and crank it out. But those little table saw attachments are a cheap investment for short runs. I saw a newer version on ebay and almost bid on it (like $200, but don't know enough about them). Now I can't remember the name of it. I have a bunch of lower grade cherry/walnut and of course tons of oak that if I knew more about this subject I would persue further. The guys I deal with are working on historical building and painted pine is not what they are looking for. They have to match the old wood, like I mentioned walnut/cherry/oak, but can't find a guy to run 200' and if they do it is $5 ft...I could do it a little less, but not if I had to buy a $4,000 moulder that got used 4 times a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.