Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first build thread and this project is probably fairly simple for a lot of you guys. However, there are quite a few firsts on this for me. I am starting with rough lumber, using mortise and tenon joints and making drawers (all firsts). These are for my daughter's bedroom and it may take a little while since her and her sister are playing basketball. Here it goes:

Here is the lumber planed and the straight-line rip jig I made.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
legs glued up

Here are all 8 legs glued up. I made them a little wide so I can clean them up on the table saw. I need to finish a serving tray I am working on and then make a mortising jig for my router before I can do much more.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't made a lot if progress but i decided, while watching the playoffs, to mark my mortises. Basketball is still going strong so it may still take awhile. I should have the mortising jig made and the mortises made by the end of next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I made the tenons with a dado blade. Initially, using a stop block, I was having trouble getting the shoulders square on all four cuts. Once I kept the piece against the fence I got good square shoulders. I will have to clean up the mortises and tenons a little but I have a pretty good fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next was the tapers on the legs. I used the taper jig that I made last year. I will probably end up making a new jig with hold downs. This one is quicker to use but feels a little unsafe.

These are also the first tapers I've made since getting the saw stop. The last ones were on the shopsmith. This was a lot nicer.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I'm just going to use natural Danish oil. I am going to turn the knobs, probably with dymondwood, to dress it up a little.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alaska_Guy said:
Looking good! How are you planning to finish it? Looks like maple?
It is maple. I'm just using natural Danish oil. She has a maple-looking bed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've posted my success, might as well post an epic failure. So, I'm on the home stretch, have the tops glued up and making the drawers. I am using half blind dovetails, cut everything to size and made my test dovetails. I had a good fit so I made my dovetails and got the dang pins and tails mixed up. I will have to start over! Plus my router (porter cable 894pk) is acting weird. It is failing to start after using it for a while. Anyone ever experience that? I can't imagine it's normal but it's really aggravating.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mavawreck said:
I haven't had that particular issue, but mine surprised one day by spitting out a brush cap and cutting off there after.
Nice, smh. When it's working properly it's a beast but I'm not real happy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts