Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite sure what to call this. I was going with a shadowbox but then that came into question, so call it what you want to. Girl at work asked me months ago to build something for her parents' 50th anniversary and at first I declined because it sounded like something way out of my realm of ability. Later, after discussing it again and her finally coming up with a picture of what she was wanting I took it on. She gave me complete control except for the page to book was to be turned to and what was on the tag.
Had the hardest time figuring out how to keep the book open without smashing it in there , plus I wanted it to "float". Ended up drilling holes through both sides and bolted it to the back, then glued the other pages down. Also left one of the inside panels removable so the plexiglass could be removed for whatever reason later on.
One thing I have discovered, I seriously need to come up with a better way of photographing stuff I build haha.

Attachments

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That's a neat project. And you did a great job. I like hearing how people "solve" issues they are forced to deal with.

Mark

·
Registered
618 Posts
Looks great.

For the photography thing, look into making a light tent. It can be as simple as using a very large cardboard box, cutting holes in the sides, covering the holes with wax paper, and lining the inside of the box with white paper. Then you add lights to the sides and top and you're good.

Or you can go more elaborate with a PVC frame and fabric panels (or old white sheets).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts