Woodworking Talk banner

Shadow Box Coffee Table

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bladeburner 
#1 ·
Just finished up this shadow box table but having problems finding the right hinges for the top. Very little room on the edge under the top. Any ideas would be great. The top over hangs on the edge

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking design! You could try some Soss hinges, which come in barrel or slot versions. You'll only get 90 degrees of an opening and will need to be careful mounting them, but I've had a student use them successfully on a similar project. I recommend using them on the leg tops rather than the rails, as those are the outermost points of the base.

http://www.google.com/search?newwin...607.2j4.6.0...0.0.0..1ac.1.17.img.uQAt6Gx_qY0

#6 · (Edited)
I think I'd look into a piano hinge. Can't really tell how much space you have, but I've used piano hinges many times on lift tops. That said, I recently used these hinges from Rockler on a toy box. In the future, I'll design my lifting tops around this hinge. I have a table in My Photos using a piano hinge.
Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge

Another thought is to hinge an apron instead, giving you access from a side. If the top and bottom are rigidly attached to the legs, the table would be as sturdy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.