Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up this shadow box table but having problems finding the right hinges for the top. Very little room on the edge under the top. Any ideas would be great. The top over hangs on the edge

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice looking design! You could try some Soss hinges, which come in barrel or slot versions. You'll only get 90 degrees of an opening and will need to be careful mounting them, but I've had a student use them successfully on a similar project. I recommend using them on the leg tops rather than the rails, as those are the outermost points of the base.

http://www.google.com/search?newwin...607.2j4.6.0...0.0.0..1ac.1.17.img.uQAt6Gx_qY0

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,491 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have an idea for you about the hinges. I just wanted to pop in and say that your coffee table looks fantastic. Love the design.

Just wondering, if you would need hinges. What not have the top just lift off? (kind of like a box lid)

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Yea it's very cool!!!! If you can't find hinges to fit your design, then make them.
What's going inside it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think I'd look into a piano hinge. Can't really tell how much space you have, but I've used piano hinges many times on lift tops. That said, I recently used these hinges from Rockler on a toy box. In the future, I'll design my lifting tops around this hinge. I have a table in My Photos using a piano hinge.
Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge

Another thought is to hinge an apron instead, giving you access from a side. If the top and bottom are rigidly attached to the legs, the table would be as sturdy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts