Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning finishing of the walls in my shop and making a counter for all useable walls. So about 10ft wall on left then 22 ft wall then 10ft wall on right. The counter will incorporate my tools. Creating a 22 ft long counter to support cutting or routing. Now i plan to run the 4in DC pvc under the counter. Also run an air line for compressor. A couple questions

I will run power. Should it be in the walls or under the counter. The drywal will be 4ft down from the top but im still debating about the bottom half. Stupid drywal it up to $10 a sheet. Also debating about leaving the area under the counter open without doors. Maybe storage cabinets on wheels or enclosed with doors. Ugh Too many nice shop ideas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im planning finishing of the walls in my shop and making a counter for all useable walls. So about 10ft wall on left then 22 ft wall then 10ft wall on right. The counter will incorporate my tools. Creating a 22 ft long counter to support cutting or routing. Now i plan to run the 4in DC pvc under the counter. Also run an air line for compressor. A couple questions

I will run power. Should it be in the walls or under the counter. The drywal will be 4ft down from the top but im still debating about the bottom half. Stupid drywal it up to $10 a sheet. Also debating about leaving the area under the counter open without doors. Maybe storage cabinets on wheels or enclosed with doors. Ugh Too many nice shop ideas.
My shop is 10x24 in the basement. About half of that 24 foot wall on one side is some form of cabinets (never finished 'em) where i have my miter saw with lumber storage above. I'll have to post some pictures later, but im still not sure if i like how much room was left for the tablesaw.

I would run the power in the walls, then you're just dealing with romex and not conduit, cover it with drywall and everything looks clean.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yes - wire in the wall. One thing I've discovered about setting up shop
its' a job that never finishes for me. I first set up my 24 X 24 shop about 14 years ago. I sat in the empty space for a few hours listening to tunes and envisioning the work flow and what would be the best set-up. Since then, I've changed it all around and I've had about 10 perfect set-ups. The last switch was a month ago and I'm saving my money for a new tool - things are going to change again. Stay flexible is my advise...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used OSB for all the wall and ceiling coverings in my shop. What I like about it is I can put a screw in it anywhere. At the time I paid less than 7 bucks a sheet. It's more expensive right now, but if drywall is at 10, it might be worth considering it...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Last summer, I built some storage cabinets and a miter saw station. So far, they are working out great. Here are a few pics.

The miter saw station is based loosely on the Ron Paulk Miter Saw/work bench plans. I didn't follow them exactly, just used them as a reference.

Hope you get some inspiration from them.
Mike

Attachments

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
I Suggest what ever you go with drywall OSB or 1/4"steel plate, paint it white, It will help reflect more light and it will britten up the space making it easier to see the line!

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Nice Saw station......I wish I had room to build a wider table for my radial arm saw....

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Nice Saw station......I wish I had room to build a wider table for my radial arm saw....
...and this is in a one car garage. :icon_smile: No vehicle has been parked in it in the 27 years we have been here. :)

I have also set up the pocket hole jig on one side of the saw to create a temporary work station. And the holes provide some clamping options.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts