Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to build a couple of clocks for an outing sponsored by our state fish and game department. One of the clocks is to have 38 caliber cartridges for the 3-6-9-12 positions. The others will be .22 cartridges. I may have to cut them off for the thickness of wood. I do have a lot of wood, as if woodworkers always face a shortage of wood. My question- when I determine the center of the face, what is the best way to lay out the 12 positions? This one will be a wall clock. The other will be a desk clock. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If my math is correct, each number is 30 degrees from the previous/next number. I would just draw a circle the size of the clock face, then draw lines out at 30,60,90,120,150,180,210,240,270,300,330 degrees from the center to your circle. This will give you the points where the numbers would be.

There might be an easier way, but this is what I came up with.

·
where's my table saw?
31,293 Posts
here's a tip ....

The hours of 12, and 6 are at 90 degrees to the hours of 9 and 3. Now rotate it 30 degrees and the hours of 1 and 7 are at 90 degrees to 10 and 4, same with 2 and 8 and 11 and 5. Once you get the 12 and 6 and the 9 and 3, each new set is just 30 degrees away, in either direction ... cw or ccw.

https://xt8dob.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/setting-circles-3-iphone-360-protractor-likely-success/
Go to this site and print out this image for use as a guide:

No problem with the 30 degree segments but needing to make sure of accuracy. Alchymist's link looks simple. Will give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Back when I was building clocks, I would mount the movement in the case, install the hands, set at noon, make a mark, set to one make a mark, set to two make a mark ETC

Worked out perfect and was real easy to do

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of great advice from experience of the forum members. My father had a clock in his den that ran backwards. After a while, one could tell the time but it got a lot of stares and confused minds from those who saw it for the first time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.