Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a couple of serving trays I made for my wife's boss. (Made 2 but only pic of 1). They are cherry with tung oil. Based on Woodsmith plan found in issue #165, June of 2006 if anyone's interested.

image-3074240669.jpg

image-4014488584.jpg

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think cherry is my new favorite wood. Easy to work with handtools and the color/texture/grain is just about perfect.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
very nice piece. i couldnt find that plan. would love to have the pattern for those handle assemblys.

Reactions: sawdustfactory

·
Registered
56 Posts
Love the look of your tray. My daughter saw this and wants me to do one just like it only in oak. Are the slats gapped on the bottom? She wants it to be a solid bottom in case of a spill. I am thinking of putting a 45 on the top edged to make them look gapped but still spill proof. Did you have a pattern for the ends or just wing it?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JW, the pattern for the end is in the June 2006 issue of Woodsmith. There is a gap between the slats as this is intended for a BBQ cart. Your idea of bevelling the edges would work, just allow for some expansion at the ends.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Streamwinner said:
Nice project and excellent results. Good work.
very nice. Workbench is pretty spiffy to. If my posts look funny,my laptop blew up and I haven't figured forum out on iPhone yet.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. I can't take credit for the bench. It's a Sjoberg and the wifey bought it for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts