Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished this up to give to mom for her birthday this weekend, along with an end grain cutting board I finished up last week. It's not like me to be ahead of schedule like this...

Anyway, this was made from mahogany and some beautiful quarter sawn curly something or other. My pictures don't do it justice. It seriously has a holographic shimmer to it. It's finished with a few coats of mineral oil plus beeswax. The most rewarding part of working with a gorgeous piece of wood like this for me is wiping on that first coat and watching it reveal its beauty. My 6 year old daughter shared that moment with me on this one. "Watch honey, magic!"

So, when I picked up a haul of wood a couple weeks ago, I remember my wood guy mentioning some sycamore and I may have grabbed a piece from his cutoff piles. Could that be what this is?

IMAG0381.jpg
IMAG0383.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should probably also mention that I'm from southeastern WI, and my wood guy gets most of his wood from local urban recovery of downed trees. Of course I got the mahogany from him as well (African?) and it obviously wasn't local.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Certainly looks a lot like the curly maple I have. I'll let phinds be the final arbiter though, he's much better at ID than I'll ever be.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent, thanks guys! Only have a small piece of this left that would make a real nice box top or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts