Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blue ones were a gift from a friend. He has been experimenting with blue resin poured over acorn caps. His pieces are much better. He aligns all the caps. In this blank they were just mixed in with the epoxy. I may try experimenting with this sometime but I would have to buy a pressure pot. He puts them under 150PSI to try and reduce the number of air bubbles.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
John

I really like all of your finials. Did you make all the finials first than the bodies? I like your first ornament because I have a number of those I have been looking to make into something. I originally got them for calls but they are too loud and will look great on a tree.

On second thought I have a Cindy Drozda spindle gouge and those finials would be good practice for that tool.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I generally make the balls first. Mainly because I often change the shape based on what's in the wood. I like the finial to mimic the shape of the ball in someway if I can so I make them last. In this case I made all 10 balls in one setting and then started on the finials. I finished all but 2 the first day.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
John

Your September gifts are very timely because our turning club is having a "shop crawl" this coming week-end and these will serve as some inspiration.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Beautiful ornaments, John.

Yesterday I made my second ever finial. (I turned the first one on Saturday, but then broke it as I tried to drill a hole in the end that fits inside "the ornament" ... ooops :laughing:)

It was inspired by a workshop with Kurt Hertzog a week ago, he showed us some techniques to make it less daunting. It was a lot of fun -- now I have to work on something to fit the finial onto!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts