Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I couldn't find this in a search of the forum.

I like working with butler hinges that at the opposite ends of the center hinge are semicircular. Which quality brand I use is not much concern: I'll use any competitively priced one.

Does anyone know of a router jig designed to work with a particular brand of just such hinges, including a guide for the deeper cuts closer to the hinge point for the deeper wood real estate taken up by the hinge?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,331 Posts
I thought it would be easy to find. a web search didn't turn up
much of anything useful.
back in the '80s I was doing a lot of work on boats and I had a
plastic jig for brass butler hinges. I have no idea where I got it from
or what happened to it. at that time, I was buying a lot of speciality
items from Constantine's. but I don't see it there now.
you may have to send some email enquiries to different supply houses.
let us know what you find !!

Edit: with a little tweaking, you could make your own jig to suit your
individual needs out of some 3/4" thick solid material for your router.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your ideas, some of which, out of respect for your time I tried first before coming here. : - )

·
where's my table saw?
27,856 Posts
Couldn't find a commercially made jig .....

Hi. I couldn't find this in a search of the forum.

I like working with butler hinges that at the opposite ends of the center hinge are semicircular. Which quality brand I use is not much concern: I'll use any competitively priced one.

Does anyone know of a router jig designed to work with a particular brand of just such hinges, including a guide for the deeper cuts closer to the hinge point for the deeper wood real estate taken up by the hinge?

Thanks.
https://woodworker.com/solid-brass-butlers-hinge-2-12x1-mssu-872-287.asp

The closest I came was instructions on how to make a hinge mortising template from here:
http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2017/12/07/routing-a-hinge-mortise/
Apparently there are different size radii on the hinges, so a custom template would be necessary for your particular size hinges. The barrel of the hinge is deeper and has square corners, so a router bit will only partially complete the hinge pocket. Hand chiseling the corners will be required. :sad2:

Reactions: Arbee

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the reference to Trend brand products.

I did indeed encounter them in a search prior to your suggestion and didn't find any of their otherwise well designed and extensive template shapes to "fit the bill." It's the semi-circular nature of the end of the butler hinges I seek to use that seems to be the thing that thwarts my attempts at purchasing product to accomplish my needs.

Likely, I'll just make my own template by tracing a butler hinge, increasing the size of the cutout by the radius of a router bit's guide wheel and use that as my homemade template.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts