Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just make sure you specify terms and conditions before the sale. If the buyer claims the item is damaged they will only get a refund if the item is returned to you at their expense. Take pictures before you ship and make the buyer take pictures of the shipping container before opening if they think it might have been damaged during shipment.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
During the informal "chit chat" after a virtual Zoom club meeting last night, someone mentioned long shipping times for Woodpeckers tools. Someone else followed with a comment about long delays for Festool products as well. They said that right now it is nearly impossible to find Festool products in stock anywhere in the US right now, either new or used.

·
Registered
239 Posts
During the informal "chit chat" after a virtual Zoom club meeting last night, someone mentioned long shipping times for Woodpeckers tools. Someone else followed with a comment about long delays for Festool products as well. They said that right now it is nearly impossible to find Festool products in stock anywhere in the US right now, either new or used.
It's not just Festool and Woodpeckers. Almost any "popular" equipment is delayed right now. The orders I've placed with Woodpeckers, Festool, Grizzly, Harvey and Oneida have all been delayed. Tools that may show up as available one day on Amazon are gone the next. It seems like most everyone is running a few months behind at the moment. I received three shipments over the last two weeks and all of those orders had been placed 4 to 6 months ago. I received a shipment in February for a set of straight edges that I had ordered back in April of last year.

It does seem like Festool is catching up a bit. A few of their tools that I've been looking at used to have an estimated shipment date of May or June and most of those have been moved up to April 1st.

I understand that most manufactures have been dealing with their own raw material supply issues. From what I've heard from a few of my vendors that backlog is starting to get better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did some searching and this is where some buyers try to scam sellers. The file a SNAD claim Significantly Not as Described. I don't know the details but found this from EcommerceBytes - The leader of ecommerce news and information for online sellers. - EcommerceBytes talking about the update to PayPal Polices.

Bad news: You May Not Get Your Item Back in Cases of SNAD Claims
PayPal's notice states: "For "Significantly Not as Described" claims under our Seller Protection Program, we are clarifying that the item may not be returned to sellers or sellers may be required to accept the returned item and pay for the return shipping costs."

Again, I have not had this happen and I sell a fair amount with Paypal payments. But I have heard of some fold not getting their items back and PayPal refunding the sellers payment. So they got the item free.

Just a heads up and suggest you do a bit more reading if this concerns you. I am not going to drop PayPal but I am going to try to learn more about how to defend myself in case someone pulls this on me.
I've had two incidents of wanting a refund for SNAD last year through Paypal. The first time it was for an item that was from China and was mis-advertised. I saw the ad with pictures of quilt rulers, and a good price ad ordered it. Then I received a sewing machine foot that was in one of the pictures, along with the rulers. It took me months of communicating through Paypal, and they declined my claim, but I fought it and finally talked to a human being at Paypal (all the other stuff is done through forms and "chatting" with their "live chat" feature) I sent pictures of the ads and other identical ones from other Chinese companies as well as copies of complaints about the same company on Paypal forums who had been declined. After two calls, I received my refund--I don't understand why they let those companies use the Paypal verification logo!

The second time was for a different issue not from China, and I was refunded instantly.
The squeaky wheel...

Before these two incidents, I've dealt with Paypal since its beginning when I used to sell through Ebay, I've used it a zillion times with no worries as a seller and buyer.

·
Wannabe
24 Posts
I’ve got a guy who wants to buy a tool from me via Paypal. Ive been told Paypal has a very liberal purchase protection policy, but receiving it as a family and friends transfer avoids this. He is not willing to do this, but rather as “goods and services” (which means consumer protection).

I’ve also been told people will receive the item, file a bogus damage claim, then the seller is on the hook for the refund.

Even though he‘s taking most of the risk, I’m bowing out at this point, just thought someone might have some experience with this.

Or, if you live within driving distance of Jacksonville, FL and want to buy a Domino 500 let me know.
I’m the one selling it. I understand the protection on the part of the buyer, but if they claim it was damaged ir some such, then what?

I‘m not a distrustful person by nature, but I’m not comfortable with it. I’m old school - you hand over the cash, I give you the tool, we both understand it’s sold as is.
don't do it. I've been there, been burned by paypal's "buyer protection" - you as the seller have pretty much ZERO recourse. In my case, it was a Bosch Get75 brand new in the box, never even opened. Given to me as gift. All the clown had to do was file a claim with PP and they didn't care ONE WORD about what I had to say or the images I sent to them of the packaging prior to shipment, then in the box. I not only lost the $ but they refused to make the idiot send the tool back also so I lost both.

Sad part is I KNEW BETTER! PAYPAL SUCKS!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts