Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a guy who wants to buy a tool from me via Paypal. Ive been told Paypal has a very liberal purchase protection policy, but receiving it as a family and friends transfer avoids this. He is not willing to do this, but rather as “goods and services” (which means consumer protection).

I’ve also been told people will receive the item, file a bogus damage claim, then the seller is on the hook for the refund.

Even though he‘s taking most of the risk, I’m bowing out at this point, just thought someone might have some experience with this.

Or, if you live within driving distance of Jacksonville, FL and want to buy a Domino 500 let me know.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
Can he/she put it on Ebay?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m the one selling it. I understand the protection on the part of the buyer, but if they claim it was damaged ir some such, then what?

I‘m not a distrustful person by nature, but I’m not comfortable with it. I’m old school - you hand over the cash, I give you the tool, we both understand it’s sold as is.

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
So what you are saying is, "I will sell it to you but at your own risk, no protection from Paypal if I send you a brick".
Trust works both ways, he is only trying to protect himself, I just add a bit to asking price to cover the fee and all is good.
If you are worried about delivery send it so that it requires a signature.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
I buy and sell on Ebay using paypal. I have bought and sold on Ebay over 200 times...

·
Wishing he had a title...
275 Posts
I think you are being smart. I run a small business and half my clients are paying with PayPal. So I am not coming from an anti-PayaPal stance. But you are right that PayPal favors the buyer and it is hard to win if he protests. They have sided with people and not made them ship it back. Not sure how common it is but it has happened. It is one of those I see both or your sides on this. You don't know each other.

Simple answer is offer to use an Escrow Service, such as Escrow.com. I have bought camera equipment using this in the past. I don't remember the fee's but they were not much.

NEVER MIND. Just looked and fees are crazy now! 63$ for a $100 transaction. Used to be just a few dollars.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
Do you not have an Ebay account?

You can buy insurance through UPS...

·
Interested Observer
1,143 Posts
If you are concerned don't sell it to him and worry no more. If you want to, put all the conditions you want on the sale "up front". Don't change the game halfway through the sale and end up costing the guy more money to satisfy your concerns. In this case maybe you could pick up the paypal fee to help close the sale.

Anyway. it is just selling an old or unused thing so walking away costs nothing but the time spent.

Good luck with the transaction however it turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand him wanting to protect himself.

I didn’t change the game I asked him how he would pay and have not agreed to it. I was educated about PayPal by someone who has both used it and been burned.

I advertised the product with the thought in mind a local person would be interested, not someone 2000 miles away.

At this point I’m going to bow out unless there is an alternative, the guy sounds alright, it I have enough things to worry about. We’re not talking about 50 bucks.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You take GOOD ... DETAILED pictures of the item your selling. If the buyer complains, you have the proof of condition before it's sent. You cannot expect anyone buying something online to forgo protection. In my mind, any seller refusing such protection is planning on screwing me, so I'll refuse to buy.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He never asked for anything, willing to buy it sight unseen.
I know I’d never do it, but there are all kinds of people out there that do it.

·
Jack of too many trades..
223 Posts
Yeah, that's a rather pricey tool for an unsecured transaction.

I know both eBay and Paypal would take a cut if you used eBay for the transaction, but you probably want to be cautious here. I've heard some horror stories. I've used PP to buy stuff - two classic Volvos (2005 and again in 2008) from individuals. I sold another car for $1000 and was paid via Paypal, but PP took 3%. Scams were a bit less common even 10-15 years ago. These days, I'd only consider being paid via paypal outside of some sort of guaranteed marketplace is the price were fairly low and I'd be willing to eat the loss.

I hear a lot of folks using "Venmo" to send money these days, you might look into that as another option. I always pay cash when buying anything local.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the customer paid for the product but did not receive it, or the product received differs significantly from the description, they can open a dispute in the Problem Resolution Center.
If the dispute cannot be resolved, either party can move it to the category of claims within 20 days. From now on, PayPal is directly involved in resolving the dispute and will make a decision based on the information provided.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
@DrRobert's description of the buyer and what he is selling raises all kinds of red flags to me. I agree that you have made the right choice not to sell to him. 2000 miles? Sight unseen? Big red flags.

The next thing that may happen is the "buyer" offers more money to get you to bite. Don't fall for it.

I have sold a few items on Craigslist, but only local and only cash. Every time I posted something for sale, I would get plenty of obvious scams from all over. Your experience matches mine, except that I don't even bother to respond to people who are not local. They can be persistent.

Sing along with me. You know the tune:
"Let it go;
Let it go;
Don't sell that Domino.
Let it go;
Let it go;
That bid is really snow ..."

·
Registered
170 Posts
Like Tool Agnostic, I'm reading red flags as well. My son had lots of responses when he was trying to sell his iPhone and than his MacBook, from all over the place. All of them insisted on paying with PayPal.

I don't understand searching nationwide on used marketplaces. assuming you weren't giving away the Domino, by time he ships it there, he's into it for what, %60-75 retail? Sight unseen? Wow. no warranty, no return. pretty big ticket item for that.

You'd figure if money was a none issue, he's buying it new and done, no questions asked.

If you have it priced right, it'll sell. May take a minute or two, but someone will want it.

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
I buy and sell thousands of dollars in merchandise through Paypal every year from all around the world, Paypal works flawlessly, many customers pay by credit card through it because it is a very secure method. It is by far the best way to handle international transactions, I can pay through any currency I select and the recipient receives the payment in the currency they select, no hassles with local banks which happens with checks or money-orders.
Yes there is a fee, but that is a lot less than maintaining a brick and mortar store, a very reasonable way to do business.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feedback. Frank, I‘m not a business.

He agreed to my asking price (80% of retail) & when he instantly offered to pay the PP fees - red lights were going off.

I‘m thinking who wants a tool that bad? I know there are issues with Dominos but in a month or two he can get one new with a fresh warranty.

Apparently people do this all the time. I know a lot of dog breeders who sell puppies for 1000’s to people 1000 miles away on nothing but a picture.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Frank, I‘m not a business.

He agreed to my asking price (80% of retail) & when he instantly offered to pay the PP fees - red lights were going off.

I‘m thinking who wants a tool that bad? I know there are issues with Dominos but in a month or two he can get one new with a fresh warranty.

Apparently people do this all the time. I know a lot of dog breeders who sell puppies for 1000’s to people 1000 miles away on nothing but a picture.
I may be a little confused. If I understand, your buyer wants to use the "Family and Friends" feature of PayPal to avoid paying a fee. If that is correct, I agree with you, don't do it. If you do, all protections for both buyer and seller are gone. If he insists, bow out. You might try to offer splitting the fee with him. If he refuses, bow out.
God luck.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
I would put it on Ebay.set the price" buy it now" , give a description and walk away. He wants then, he simply pays for it. You ship...

When I sold a poker table to a guy in Massachusetts. He did it all.. He payed me over night for the table sent a second check over night for packaging and he had a trucking company come to the door and we loaded it. I signed one time that the truck driver had picked it up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts