Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im sure you guys are getting sick of questions from a guy that just cant seem to make up his mind. If so, blame Ryan. I had my mind made up allready before he started posting pics of his Christmas gifts! lol

My mind was all made up to buy the big Triton router, TRA 001 and a Woodpeckers plate and rings. This combo will cost right around $400.

The reason for selecting that router is that it gets the best reviews for table use without a lift. I really wanted a lift but I refuse to pay the rediculous prices for one. Its also a 3 1/4 HP router. I dont really require that kind of power from a router but it would be nice to know the power was there if I ever needed to do some raised panels.

So, the Jessem Rout R Lift II is just shy of $200. Going with this lift would require I go with a different router to stay in budget and I was advised with a router as heavy as the Triton, I shouldnt bolt it to a phenolic plate. The Jessem is phenolic. I know theres several good routers out there for sub $200 prices so thats not a concern. I guess Im looking for someone to sell me on the lift. Is it a decent lift? Will I be frusterated with it and wish I had just gone with option number 1? Ive read all the reviews that I can find out there for it and it gets mixed reviews.

So option 1, the big Triton mounted to a Woodpeckers plate or...
option 2, a lesser router mounted in a Jessem lift.

FYI, this is the only lift that fits into my budget so reccomending a more expensive one is useless.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
I have the Jessum Master Lift II. It has a 3/8" aluminum plate and will accept small or large routers.

I put off buying it until recently. I would not trade it for something of twice the value. You don't know what your missing till you get your hands on one of these. They are awesome! :yes:

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Jessum Master Lift II. It has a 3/8" aluminum plate and will accept small or large routers.

I put off buying it until recently. I would not trade it for something of twice the value. You don't know what your missing till you get your hands on one of these. They are awesome! :yes:
Im asking specifically about the Rout R Lift II. The master lift is way over budget. If the Rout R Lift II isnt worth buiyiing, Ill go back to my original plan.

Reactions: mdntrdr

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The bearings posts and clamping mechanisms on it are well built and have excellent machining. The top has aluminum pieces built in to eliminate sag. If I was using it in a production situation I'd go for the aluminum, but it's going into a Formica top so I felt the phenolic top was more than sufficient.

If you want any close ups just let me know...

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you had the opertunity to use yours at all Ryan? I was only able to find a few reviews for the lift at all. The bad ones were things like it was a pain to level but you only had to do that once. Another person complained that you had to crank it so much and Jessem advised not to use a drill for cranking because it could wear out the mechanism, etc. Another person said that thier posts rusted.

Im very interested in having a lift but I dont wanna buy one thats junk. It definately dosnt look like junk. I guess I just need a little reassurance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a Triton MOF 001 mounted in my table, trying to do the same thing and not buy a lift and it worked OK but not great. I use an Incra table and after mounting the Triton I couldn't raise it enough with the crank to change bits while it was in the table. The Triton has a push arbor lock and only 1 wrench. I couldn't reach the push lock from the top, so it was easier to just lift it out to change bits. Setting the height worked fine but again it was inconvenient to lock it in place after it was set. I finally got tired of it and I just got the Incra Mast-R-Lift II and a PC 7518 router. I love the new setup and it works like a dream. This is the way to go if you can swing the cost. I now use the Triton, great router by the way, for hand work.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Well a few things......

1. The fact that you have to crank it alot to make it go up and down....is a benefit in that you have great precision. When one revolution is 1/16th, you can control it really well. I don't see this as a bad thing.

2. Anything metal will rust, including the posts on a plunge router base if the conditions are right. So therefore....the rusting part is a problem of the shop conditions....not the fault of the tool.

3. The leveling of the plate......is a one time set up....and no better or worse than a plate or any other lift.

4. I've only got to operate it out of the table....in which it seems to operate perfectly. its going to be a bit before I get to use it in

·
John
3,028 Posts
I had a Triton MOF 001 mounted in my table, trying to do the same thing and not buy a lift and it worked OK but not great. I use an Incra table and after mounting the Triton I couldn't raise it enough with the crank to change bits while it was in the table. The Triton has a push arbor lock and only 1 wrench. I couldn't reach the push lock from the top, so it was easier to just lift it out to change bits. Setting the height worked fine but again it was inconvenient to lock it in place after it was set. I finally got tired of it and I just got the Incra Mast-R-Lift II and a PC 7518 router. I love the new setup and it works like a dream. This is the way to go if you can swing the cost. I now use the Triton, great router by the way, for hand work.
Not sure I understand this,,, unless you were trying to change bits with the power switch on.. The Triton has a mechanical interlock that will not allow the router to travel far enough for the automatic spindle lock to engage when the router power switch is in the "ON" position. The push arbor lock is automatically engaged when the router is in the proper position.
The setup you ended up with is a great setup but I'm guessing you had to drop something north of $700.

·
where's my table saw?
28,158 Posts
you can't get there unless....

Ok, I was instrumental in mdntrdr's decision to get the Jessem Mast R Lift II, since I have two of them I had no qualms in recommending them. As retfr8flyr said he tried your first option and it didn't work out that great. I can't speak to the Router Lift II or it's qualities, it does get 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.... however.

You can either get the router you mentioned and use it until you get the lift we recommend OR get the Lift now and make another router work. The Lift will take about 10 different size routers AFAIK. The Chevy will probably get you there, but the Caddy will do a lot more.
I will say the newer Mast R Lift II has a cam spindle lock, which the first versions did NOT. :thumbdown: I have 2 of those also, and I found the height DID change in certain operations. If that is the difference between the two lifts here, then by all means get the spindle locking version...Mast R Lift II. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not sure I understand this,,, unless you were trying to change bits with the power switch on.. The Triton has a mechanical interlock that will not allow the router to travel far enough for the automatic spindle lock to engage when the router power switch is in the "ON" position. The push arbor lock is automatically engaged when the router is in the proper position.
The setup you ended up with is a great setup but I'm guessing you had to drop something north of $700.
Yes I have a separate power switch mounted to the table that the Triton was plugged into. I didn't know about the interlock until after I had it all set up. It was either go under the table and turn the power switch off, so it would raise high enough to engage the lock to change the bits, or just pull it out of the table, which was easier in the long run since I had it mounted in an Incra Clean Sweep box. The Incra Mast-R-Lift II is just their version of the Jessem lift with their metal throat plate system. Actually I got everything on sale so the lift and router cost me less than $600.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I was going to jump in on the topic of the Triton not raising far enough for the collet to lock but it was already addressed: Turn the switch off. I use a separate big "Off" switch but don't have a problem reaching underneath to make sure the router's switch is off, too, for bit changes.

For those who would feel the need, you can defeat the interlock. Here's a link: http://www.thewoodnerd.com/tips/tritonInterlock.html

For what it's worth, I really like the Triton. I would go for a lift if it was little additional expense but the added convenience doesn't justify the big cost for me.

woodnthings and Ryan said:
<<I will say the newer Mast R Lift II has a spindle lock>>
<<The Rout R Lift II also has the spindle lock....>>

How does that work??

Bill

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
My table routers are the Freud FT1700 and Milwaukee 5625. I've never owned a lift, and have never felt like something was missing. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be handy, but with above table adjustment features available, a lift would be about 23rd on my priority list.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm with knotscott, even though all my woodworking friends have 'em.
I setup at eyelevel, so I'm already near the knob. Although I suppose my horizontal table is a lift, since it has a crank!

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the relplies guys.

Have any of you ever read the reviews for the Triton routers? The routers are designed to have incredible adjustability without having to purchase a lift. I cant throw that one out the window because one guy here had an issue with it when it gets amazing reviews everywhere. I was aware of the power switch needing to be powered off for bit changes. Thats a non issue.

The Master Lift II is out of the question. I refuse to pay more for a lift than the router its gonna be lifting. I say that as I get ready to purchase a fence that cost nearly 4 times the cost of the saw Im gonna put it on, lol. I dont allready have a lift because I cant justify that cost. I can justify the cost of a $200 lift when its cheaper than my option of not having a lift at all.

I had really hoped to get some opinions from those that have and use a Rout R Lift II but I guess there isnt alot of them out there yet as I cant find many reviews.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...the Triton was listed on amazon for $199 yesterday...just sayin'
It still is, and with free shipping. Thats a beast of a router for 200 bucks!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
<<The "spindle lock" is a cam that locks the .....:
http://jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html
>>

Ahh - but after reading that link I see I misunderstood what they meant by 'spindle lock' on the Jessem. They mean that they are locking the spindle's vertical position, not locking it for a bit change. So if you want a router to lock the spindle shaft for a one-wrench bit change, the Triton or some others would still be the way to go.

Bill

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I know that some of the early Triton's had issues with nylon or Delryn gears wearing prematurely, but AFAIK they've replaced those with metal gears and no longer have that chronic issue. Other than that, the only issues I catch on forums are very occasional odd random issues that pertain to every router and every motorized tool ever made. FWIW, I don't have a Triton, but I have a smaller 13 amp FT1700 Freud that I choose 90% of the time over my beasty 15 amp MW5625....not because it's a superior router, but b/c I find those topside features so darn convenient. Can you add a router lift down the road if you want one?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts