Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Very nice. My parents' first boat was a Sears molded plywood runabout, about 15 feet long. Can't figure out how they mold plywood.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hello! :smile2:

I built my first self-made plywood boat ever in 2016. More information and my boat project video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBqyB66izE

Hope you like it! :wink:
Making a boat is something I have always wanted to do. I was thinking maybe a sailboat. I have waited too late in life to do it now. I am so glad you posted this. You really done a great job and showing pictures really is nice. I love the fishtail in the last picture.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Nice. I suppose if it is waterproof enough, it will be OK. But the whole idea of using plywood for an application that sits in water makes me nervous. After all, plywood and water don't typically like each other, do they?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Plywood is a really standard material for boats. From what I've read (I'm considering building a canoe this summer) you can either paint it thoroughly and expect it to last a couple of years, or fiberglass it and expect it to last as long as you take care of it.

I'll likely try for skin-on-frame if I decide to go ahead with it, but 1/8" ply is common.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
We had a molded plywood hull runabout boat for years in my teens. Shell made in eastern Canada.
As I can recall, careful maintenance and it looked like new, structurally sound.
I like the design of Vesimakara's boat in #1

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
"How it's Made " had an item on marine ply today. Basically, waterproof glue and tropical hardwoods. Probably a video on Utube. Too expensive for us.. we used waterproof Masonite for decking and then complete construction. never a problem.
johnep

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Making a boat is something I have always wanted to do. I was thinking maybe a sailboat. I have waited too late in life to do it now. I am so glad you posted this. You really done a great job and showing pictures really is nice. I love the fishtail in the last picture.
Thanks a lot! :smile2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. I suppose if it is waterproof enough, it will be OK. But the whole idea of using plywood for an application that sits in water makes me nervous. After all, plywood and water don't typically like each other, do they?
Thanks! :smile2:

I drag my boat ashore after a drive, so it's not all the time on the water.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Sort of off topic, but does anyone remember the stories of the guy who built a boat in his basement and couldn't get it out the door???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts