Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post in here.

I was wondering is somebody could explain to me, what "self-jigging joinery" is?

Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Frank, George.

The term has been taken from a particular Phd thesis information page, related with structural engineering:

One of the central achievements of digital chain is the ability to mass customise building elements creating individualised solutions and enabling new kinds of building geometries. While methods for the design and production of customised elements have matured, the planning of assembly procedures remains undeveloped in the building sector – in contrast to for example to product design. Construction takes place in time and entails interdependent interactions as one element carries the other. The lack of robust planning tools impedes structural innovation as constructions can only be solved through simple and known assembly systems. This project develops methods for the analysis and planning of assembly. With a focus on timber construction, the project investigates the use of self-jigging joinery in which the mass customised detailing of timber elements embed bespoke joinery into the single element. These solutions promise sustainable and more resilient structures as self-jigging joints eliminate the need for additional joinery systems, minimise tolerances and reduce material complexity. The research transfers concepts from parallel fields of product design, computer science and mathematics: the development of workflows and strategies for the design of assembled structures, the development of metrics for quantitatively identifying good solutions with respect to the whole manufacturing and assembly process and the development of digital simulation tools to analyse dependencies and feedback assembly solutions to the design environment.

The PhD student is expected to develop new design methods for planning assembly of self-jigging timber structures. Create methods for analysing and solving complex interdependencies in building construction.

The purpose of the secondments is to embed the project in a context for speculative projections of the application of developed assembly planning systems and to provide experimental project context for implementing, testing and evaluating of assembly planning systems in industrial setting.

-------------
FrankC said:
Frank thank you for the link.
I do not really know if that's self-jigging (steel) joints.
That's why I am asking.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
bernard,I didn't read your link.........thanks for posting BTW.

This response is purely knee-jerk consequently.The two things that come quickly to mind are;

#1."worth more than the sum of it's parts".....

#2,is a machinist reference;"the ability to reproduce itself"

Think about my response however,hope it helps,BW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply BWSmith.

I apologize if this may sound inconvenient in any way, but I haven't understood your reply. English is not my native language.

Are you suggesting that the upper text is full of nonsense sentences and expressions?

·
2,552 Posts
No bernard,it has nuthin to do with the translation.It,however...has every thing to do with the principal of the matter/question.

When a person asks/relates an engineering proposal....you've gotta ask how these things have been dealt with in the past.If it's already,"been done"....then it sort of just is,so what?If it's such a basic question that it is an assumed answer....that also,becomes,"so what"?

Rhetoric be damned.....that's the stuff for politicians and dipchits who have nuthin better to do.

Self jigging...as I see it,will create itself.And yes,it can be done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not understood you, sorry.

If you have a photograph or a page where an example of the "self-jigging joinery" can be found, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

·
where's my table saw?
27,853 Posts
I don't know what means to others....

I'm not an engineer either, but when hear the term "self -jigging" I think of a system where the parts can only be assembled in one way, and that is the correct way. It may also be termed "self correcting" but that's just my view on it. The assembled parts will also be aligned properly, as when 90 degrees is necessary, that's the only way it can be assembled.

There have been so many times when removing a part from an engine or other machine, that when it came time to reassemble it, there were two ways it could go back on, but only one way was correct. That's DUMB engineering in my view.

A good example of that is the 3 pronged plug on some power tools. It will only go in one way. A bad example is a 2 pronged plug with one prong just slightly wider than the other. In the dark or in a hurry you will only get it correct 50 percent of the time. Now that's DUMB engineering.

My .02 cents.:smile:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I wouldn't believe what that person has written because he can't even get his spelling correct! "Minimise", "realise". Guess he is too smart for his own good.

On the other hand, Lincoln logs come to mind. I guess they would be "self-jigging", which sounds like a stupid term also. At least for a non-engineer type such as I. ;)

·
where's my table saw?
27,853 Posts
taken from the OP's post ....

I wouldn't believe what that person has written because he can't even get his spelling correct! "Minimise", "realise". Guess he is too smart for his own good.

On the other hand, Lincoln logs come to mind. I guess they would be "self-jigging", which sounds like a stupid term also. At least for a non-engineer type such as I. ;)
quoting :

The purpose of the secondments is to embed the project in a context for speculative projections of the application of developed assembly planning systems and to provide experimental project context for implementing, testing and evaluating of assembly planning systems in industrial setting.

whassatmean?

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks like the writer of the piece was schooled in England/Europe - usage of 's' instead of the American English 'z' is quite common usage with British English and not really a misspelling.

I'm just saying...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the replies guys.

@woodnthings:
Would you be so kind to point out a photograph of 3 and 2 pronged plugs?

Lincoln logs have an ability to be matched in a couple of ways inbetween them. So basically they would not be unique in terms of assembly, right? Wouldn't that not make them a self-jigging joinery?

·
where's my table saw?
27,853 Posts
sure

Thank you for the replies guys.

@woodnthings:
Would you be so kind to point out a photograph of 3 and 2 pronged plugs?
120 V AC plugs:

This receptacle will accept either:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
quoting :

whassatmean?
Makes about as much sense as this:
“My accomplishments as Secretary of State? Well, I’m glad you asked! My proudest accomplishment in which I take the most pride, mostly because of the opposition it faced early on, you know…
the remnants of prior situations and mindsets that were too narrowly focused in a manner whereby they may have overlooked the bigger picture and we didn’t do that and I’m proud of that. Very proud.
I would say that’s a major accomplishment.”

120 V AC plugs:

This receptacle will accept either:
It will also accept a third plug, though there is another receptacle that won't:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the replies woodnthings and Alchymist.

So basically we concluded that a "self-jigging wood joinery" is type of a wood joint, connection, which could be assembled in one way, and one way only?

·
2,552 Posts
"Self jigging" in concrete world would be exactly the right "mix".....the joint part should be obvious,in this analogy.

Joke alert......

Shall we go on?I'm here all week....badaBOOM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am no engineer but I have some experience with deciphering higher education jargon (aka seeing through bs...ha!) and best I can tell you guys are right. "Self-jigging" meaning designed in such a way as there are no additional steps/pieces needed to achieve the desired outcome. However, this sentence is confusing;

With a focus on timber construction, the project investigates the use of self-jigging joinery in which the mass customised detailing of timber elements embed bespoke joinery into the single element.
That is essentially saying they want to develop universal components that can also be used in customized applications with "self-jigging" properties, I believe?

Bernard, are you thinking of applying to this PhD program? If so I'd encourage you to contact the PI listed on the page you linked to and ask for more information about the program in general. It sounds like the general focus of the program is analyzing the actual construction process to increase efficiency and reduce down time (electricians waiting on HVAC, waiting on framers, ad infinitum).

woodnthings said:

whassatmean?
From reading the link that Bernard posted, "Secondments" are like internships. They list two specific companies that the PhD student will intern with. So that sentence above is basically saying "We're trying to apply this theoretical mumbo-jumbo into a real world situation to see if it could ever really work, and if it does work we will use it as justification for more research."

·
2,552 Posts
bschiltz.....could be wrong but

I sort of take what you're sayin,my take..as it applies to the original post is

Self generation

1 - 20 of 22 Posts